Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

1 members and 2,897 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
  • 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM
    herekitkitty
    Can an adult ball python eat a cat?
    I just got a baby ball python over the weekend for my birthday :)
    And I also have 2 adult cats, each about 9lbs.
    my friend was saying that the snake at full size can eat one of my cats...
    is this true?
    Is there any way to make sure this doesnt happen? besides making sure she cant get out of her enclosure of course. But I've read snakes are escape artists, So I am a bit worried for them all. For the snake now since im sure the cats could attack her now, but also for the cats later.
    My cats are pretty mellow and have not really noticed the snake. I showed her to them through the glass but they didnt seem to care really.
    So I am more worried about the cats when the snake gets bigger!
    Is my friend teasing me or could the snake really eat the cats when she gets big?
    help! worried mama here!:confused:
  • 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
    stevepoppers
    Re: Can an adult ball python eat a cat?
    This thing's about 10lbs. I doubt they could eat anything heavier than them. Most people feed them 10-15% of their body weight at a time, though they can eat a little more.

YouTube - Brian Gundy With His 5000 Gram Female Ball Python

I wouldn't worry. They probably wouldn't even be interested in the smell of cat anyway.
  • 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM
    herekitkitty
    I was thinking the snake might not even be interested since the cats were here all along? maybe would not recognize it even as a food option since the cats will have been part of the atmosphere of smells for the snake its whole life, or does that not matter? as long as shes not gona hurt my kitties im fine lol. thanks
  • 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
    BOWSER11788
    if provked it might strike at a cat, but thus the name "ball" python it would probely ball up, if it did constrict it might could hut cat but i'd be everything i own it wouldn't happen
  • 05-18-2010, 12:08 PM
    stevepoppers
    Well, people breed and keep rats/mice/other food in the same room as their snakes, but it apparently doesn't stop the snakes from eating when it's time.
  • 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM
    Dabonus
    I would honestly be more worred about the snake than the cats. Even as an adult bp, a cat's claws (assuming your cats still have them) could rip the snake apart.
  • 05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
    herekitkitty
    yep theyve got their claws. the cats have not shown any interest in the snake yet, I guess I'll just have to keep close watch on all three of them. and if i need to, I can put the snake in a room and not allow the cats in there
  • 05-18-2010, 12:21 PM
    mechnut450
    a bp ( so far in my house ) has not attacked any of mom's cats.
  • 05-18-2010, 12:32 PM
    Kaorte
    No, your ball python will not eat your cat....If anything, the cat would eat the snake.
  • 05-18-2010, 01:03 PM
    PurplePython
    Don't worry I will stay the night and guard your cat for you ;)