Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,813

1 members and 2,812 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,595
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW

Glow question

Printable View

• 11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
    catawhat75
    Glow question
    Little confused here. I always thought the glow was right before ovulation and after a lock.
    The girl who I bred last year who gave me 4 good eggs is now glowing. No mistaking it at all. However I have not put any males with her since last season. Any insight? Am I just completely wrong on thinking I would need to pair her up before I would see signs like this? Especially this early in the season- cripes, its only November!
  • 11-05-2009, 06:27 PM
    stratus_020202
    Re: Glow question
    I think, and I could be wrong, they still go through the cycle just like a woman. However, without a pairing she will just absorb the eggs back, and lay nothing. I'm pretty sure i've seen this posted before, but I loose my mind quite frequently. Lol.
  • 11-05-2009, 06:29 PM
    2kdime
    Retained sperm maybe?
  • 11-05-2009, 06:30 PM
    twistedtails
    The "glow" can take place weeks or even moths before they actually ovulate. I have noticed a few of my girls lighten up over the last week or so. If she is slamming food and has a "glow" to her I would start pairing. It won't hurt anything. Another thing, females will normally ovulate very close to the time they did the year before. When did she lay for you?
  • 11-05-2009, 06:34 PM
    sheffernan13
    I am new to breeding ball pythons, could someone assist me in what ya'll mean by glow?
  • 11-05-2009, 06:37 PM
    stratus_020202
    http://www.ballpython.ca/gallery/breeding.html

You should probably read this if you are breeding, and not sure what a glow is. :) Their colors lighten some times drastically.
  • 11-05-2009, 06:38 PM
    twistedtails
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sheffernan13 View Post
    I am new to breeding ball pythons, could someone assist me in what ya'll mean by glow?

When breeding a female will begin to lighten up in color. They wiil almost even look like a completely different snake. Once they ovulate they go back to thier normal color.
  • 11-05-2009, 06:44 PM
    catawhat75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    The "glow" can take place weeks or even moths before they actually ovulate. I have noticed a few of my girls lighten up over the last week or so. If she is slamming food and has a "glow" to her I would start pairing. It won't hurt anything. Another thing, females will normally ovulate very close to the time they did the year before. When did she lay for you?

She laid in April of this year, eggs pipped in July. Guess I better decide who I am going to pair her with...now... I wasn't planning on putting anyone together for another couple months.
  • 11-05-2009, 06:50 PM
    twistedtails
    Quote:

Originally Posted by catawhat75 View Post
    She laid in April of this year, eggs pipped in July. Guess I better decide who I am going to pair her with...now... I wasn't planning on putting anyone together for another couple months.

If you are any good at palpating you can always palpate and wait until you feel follicles to pair her.