Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,879

1 members and 2,878 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,594
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
  • 11-13-2021, 02:14 AM
    plateOfFlan
    temporary care / housing for live feeders?
    My second BP just got here, she was just switched to (fuzzy) rats by the breeder for the last 2 meals, so I assume I'll need to feed live at least a few times until she settles in because I don't want to change up her routine too much. My other guy I gave f/t as soon as he got here because he's older and was a known excellent eater, and that was no problem, but it means I've never dealt with live feeders, so sorry if I'm over thinking this.

I can easily pick up a live fuzzy at the local herp place, but then do I bring it home and offer immediately? I'd rather feed later in the evening but don't know how to maintain a baby rat for a few hours, I assume it'll need heat and such because it's still with mom at this age. How many hours is it humane to keep a fuzzy like this, and will it quickly decline from exposure? I just want to maintain it comfortably if it needs to wait for feeding time, or if she refuses and I need to figure out what to do with it (I assume the store won't take it back after it's been in with a snake but might be willing to take and euth it humanely for me). The only info I can find is for feeding f/t or for breeding feeders, nothing about "holding" one for a while. :confusd:
    Thanks!
  • 11-13-2021, 03:26 AM
    KMG
    I would try a F/T and see what happens. It may surprise you.
  • 11-13-2021, 04:18 AM
    plateOfFlan
    Re: temporary care / housing for live feeders?
    It'd certainly be simpler. And it did work last time...
  • 11-13-2021, 11:57 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    It'd certainly be simpler. And it did work last time...

I'd try that first as well. ;)
  • 11-19-2021, 12:06 AM
    plateOfFlan
    Well I stand corrected, I gave her a week to settle in and offered a frozen thawed, after trying to eat my hand she got the fuzzy second try just fine! :gj:
  • 11-19-2021, 12:12 AM
    KMG
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    Well I stand corrected, I gave her a week to settle in and offered a frozen thawed, after trying to eat my hand she got the fuzzy second try just fine! :gj:

Well there ya go! Good deal!