Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,452

3 members and 1,449 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,606
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl

Species Tips

Printable View

• 12-05-2022, 11:29 AM
    Aspen0122
    Species Tips
    Want to get a frog as a cool companion when I move out, I was also thinking about a frog, preferably a large frog that can live in a terrarium with water and fish. If there isn't a species suitable for that, are there any other amphibians that are suitable for this environment?
  • 12-05-2022, 11:39 AM
    Homebody
    Re: Species Tips
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspen0122 View Post
    Want to get a frog as a cool companion when I move out, I was also thinking about a frog, preferably a large frog that can live in a terrarium with water and fish. If there isn't a species suitable for that, are there any other amphibians that are suitable for this environment?

Salamanders are cool. Check out this list of beginner ones.
  • 12-05-2022, 11:43 AM
    Aspen0122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Salamanders are cool. Check out this list of beginner ones.

I'm really liking the Tiger; what would the tank set-up look like, a higher part with a substrate and lower with some water, or should I have a water dish with water like I would for a snake?
  • 12-05-2022, 11:46 AM
    Bogertophis
    I'd hesitate to mix species- & as far as I know, a frog would happily eat your fish. :O But also for health reasons- different species carry different parasites & all that.

I think a salamander would be very cool- I've never kept one but loved to find them in the woods when I was a kid.
  • 12-05-2022, 12:00 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

I'm really liking the Tiger; what would the tank set-up look like, a higher part with a substrate and lower with some water, or should I have a water dish with water like I would for a snake?

Sorry, I can't help you. I've never kept them. If you read the article I linked, you know as much about salamanders as I do. I only suggested them because you asked about other amphibians.

That said, I will keep them in mind if I decide to add a display animal. I've always thought if I decided to go with a bioactive display animal that I would go with dart frogs, but the care for salamanders seems a better fit for me. I'd much rather deal with feeder worms than fruit flies.
  • 12-05-2022, 12:19 PM
    Aspen0122
    What are y'alls inputs on axolotls?
  • 12-05-2022, 12:25 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

This old thread may answer some of your questions.
  • 12-05-2022, 12:49 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

I searched the Amphibians forum for "axolotl" and I found these old threads.
  • 12-05-2022, 04:24 PM
    Zincubus
    Species Tips
    Quote:

Don’t feed them slugs .. world are great though plus they like cooler conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 12-06-2022, 07:03 AM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Don’t feed them slugs .. world are great though plus they like cooler conditions

Worms are great .. curse that word prediction thingy ..