Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,844

2 members and 1,842 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,195
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Hot-Rod1088
  • 03-06-2006, 10:45 AM
    adizziedoll
    Whats the limit for inbreeding
    When I found out that we can inbreed BP, i was kind shocked, appalled, ect. I've come around a little more, but now I'm wondering the limits? I know you can breed mom to son, and im guessing father to daughter....but can you breed 2 siblings, or is that a no no?
  • 03-06-2006, 11:41 AM
    JimiSnakes
    Re: Whats the limit for inbreeding
    A law for this is simple: don't do it unless you have to. It all depends on your reasoning.
  • 03-06-2006, 11:50 AM
    elevatethis
    Unless you are trying to prove a new unique morph where only one animal exhibiting the trait exists, something NONE of us probably are dealing with, there's no reason to do it. There's tons of people out there who would do an equal trade to bring new blood into their program.
  • 03-06-2006, 11:54 AM
    monkeywrench133
    This question was asked on one of the other forums I visit. No one had an exact answer, but one of the breeders on that site figured you could go out 10 generations before problems started to appear. But, like Elevate said, it's something to avoid if possible.
  • 03-06-2006, 11:56 AM
    adizziedoll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elevatethis
    Unless you are trying to prove a new unique morph where only one animal exhibiting the trait exists, something NONE of us probably are dealing with, there's no reason to do it. There's tons of people out there who would do an equal trade to bring new blood into their program.

thats pretty much the circumstances i was wondering about. One day, when done playing catch up, i would like to make me some pretty albino pieds :) ONE DAY
  • 03-06-2006, 12:00 PM
    JimiSnakes
    albino pieds are really neat. I wouldn't mind owning one of them either...or two...or three... or...well you get the idea.
  • 03-06-2006, 12:32 PM
    Adam_Wysocki
    I think corn snakes are on their 11th generation of inbreeding/line breeding with no major ill effects.

There are probably less than 5 true captive bred generations of ball pythons in captivity.

We've got a while before it's a concern.

-adam
  • 03-06-2006, 12:35 PM
    JimiSnakes
    That's the word I was looking for. Line-breeding. The post wasn't reading right. Thanks.
  • 03-06-2006, 02:12 PM
    adizziedoll
    sibling to sibling :thumbsup: or :thumbsdow ? Ever done?
  • 03-06-2006, 02:37 PM
    JLC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adizziedoll
    sibling to sibling :thumbsup: or :thumbsdow ? Ever done?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and talk based purely on Internet observation and assumptions on my part. I don't think sibling-sibling breeding is any more or less moral than offspring-parent. I really don't think "morality" has anything to do with it when discussing animals, except for the increased risk of genetic defects, which does not seem to be a huge issue with simpler animals like reptiles.

That being said...the larger breeders are more likely to breed offspring to parent because the parent's genetics are probably a "Known" factor, while the offspring may be "poss het" or somesuch. OR, the parent is homozygous, while the offspring is het...and you increase your chances of making more homozygous babies.

But if all you have available are two siblings of a morph you'd like to create...I don't think there is anything wrong with going for it.