Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

1 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,151
Threads: 248,593
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lunarlily28
  • 09-11-2022, 06:10 AM
    clb
    Re: Correct thermostat probe placement for UTH
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    The problem here is that if the tape holding the probe to the UTH comes loose, the probe will move away from the heat mat and it will no longer be regulated properly.

I am aware of that, that's why there isn't much room below the mat - just enough to fit the mat and the probe. :)
  • 09-11-2022, 10:15 AM
    Bogertophis
    Either way, you'll want to be be verifying the temperature IN the enclosure & right over the UTH (with substrate pushed aside as the snake will likely do, sooner or later) to be sure it's adequate & not excessively warm either.
  • 05-24-2023, 02:39 AM
    uscpsycho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    This is the correct placement for thermostat probes when using any form of belly heat in any type of enclosure, regardless of the enclosure material(s).

What about a wood cage? You can't put a UTH under a wood cage because the enclosure material is too thick for the UTH to have any effect inside.
  • 05-24-2023, 10:42 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    What about a wood cage? You can't put a UTH under a wood cage because the enclosure material is too thick for the UTH to have any effect inside.

I happen to agree with you & for the same reason (wood insulates too well & could make the UTH overheat & fail) but I also know some ppl reportedly do this anyway...:confusd: Good question.
  • 05-24-2023, 02:07 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post

This post concerns the proper placement of the thermostat probe regulating a UTH. It is correct, in that, if you were to use a UTH on a wood enclosure, that is where you should place the thermostat's probe. It does not concern which heat source you should use. I agree that using a UTH on a wood enclosure wouldn't be best. An radiant heat panel would, usually, be much better.