Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,845

0 members and 2,845 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead

New Rat Bins

Printable View

• 01-18-2008, 08:14 AM
    frankykeno
    Re: New Rat Bins
    I buy heavy duty plastic zip ties from Home Depot. They do seem heavier than regular plastic ones and so far *knock wood* the rats haven't messed with them at all.

I did go back just now and add a bit to the original post to use 1/4" not 1/2" hardware cloth for mice or ASF's.
  • 03-10-2008, 12:28 PM
    cassandra
    Any chewing updates on the bins Jo, Leeshe or Meme? =)
  • 03-10-2008, 12:38 PM
    recycling goddess
    no chewing at all here. they are working like a dream!!!!!
  • 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
    MeMe
    Nope...none here!

I am actually going to have Jeff make 3 more for me tonight!

:D
  • 03-10-2008, 01:23 PM
    cassandra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MeMe View Post
    Nope...none here!

I am actually going to have Jeff make 3 more for me tonight!

:D

Was it hard to do the wire weaving? And what specific kind of wire did you use (i.e., what do I put on my Lowe's shopping list so that the guy in hardware doesn't look at me crossed eye....like he usually does =P).
  • 03-10-2008, 03:28 PM
    MeMe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cassandra View Post
    Was it hard to do the wire weaving? And what specific kind of wire did you use (i.e., what do I put on my Lowe's shopping list so that the guy in hardware doesn't look at me crossed eye....like he usually does =P).

Well Jeff did it...so it looked easy. :oops:

But I am totally sure I could do it if I wanted.

He said it is called bailing wire. And he used a pair of pliers to weave it in and out with. Once you get it started...it goes fairly easy.

My screens are also on the inside of the tubs so the rats don't have any fesh cut edges on the plastic to gnaw on.

:gj:
  • 03-10-2008, 03:47 PM
    cassandra
    Quote:

Well Jeff did it...so it looked easy. :oops:

You bum! :P

Quote:

He said it is called bailing wire. And he used a pair of pliers to weave it in and out with. Once you get it started...it goes fairly easy.

My screens are also on the inside of the tubs so the rats don't have any fesh cut edges on the plastic to gnaw on.

Okee doke..."bailing wire", gotcha. And yeah, screens on the inside make a lot of sense. Less access to chewy, the betterer. :)
  • 03-10-2008, 04:18 PM
    MeMe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cassandra View Post
    You bum! :P

Okee doke..."bailing wire", gotcha. And yeah, screens on the inside make a lot of sense. Less access to chewy, the betterer. :)

Exactly!

I am already replacing some of my rack tubs from chew holes.

:rolleyes:

funny story though...I had a mom in one of the rack tubs and she pushed her tub open and got out...by the time we found her, she had gotten out and had jumped up on the food rack above and EMPTIED the whole rack of food into her tub! It was sooo funny. She had more than half way filled her tub with lab block!

:rofl:
  • 03-10-2008, 05:02 PM
    SatanicIntention
    You never know when there may be a famine! She's just preparing her bomb shelter, dontcha know? ;)
  • 03-10-2008, 06:45 PM
    frankykeno
    We switched our hardware mesh over to inside the tub as Meme mentioned. We did have one group of males (gotta figure the boys would act up) that were able to start nibbling with the wire on the outside so we tweaked the design a bit and fixed their little red chewy wagons. :)