Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

3 members and 3,140 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
  • 04-16-2010, 12:09 AM
    iCandiBallPythons
    Re: Is it safe to allow a ball python to wrap around your neck? Rest on your shoulder
    I would never recommend placing any type of constrictor around your neck. It takes less pressure around the neck than alot of people think , to drop you unconcious. If I remember right there was a post on here awhile back about something like this happening to one of the members of the site, also if my mind serves me right they were close to losing conciousness during the ordeal.
  • 04-16-2010, 01:22 AM
    capitalB
    Re: Is it safe to allow a ball python to wrap around your neck? Rest on your shoulder
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EvesFriend View Post
    How is it impossible that a fully grown ball python couldn't strangle you to death?

sorry,grown mentally capable HUMAN adult.

rear-naked ball python choke!!? bottomline if your not comfortable with it around your neck. don't do it!
  • 04-16-2010, 05:29 AM
    mommanessy247
    years ago i used to walk around with my ball python on my shoulders. she never did go around my neck. i think it depends on the comfort level of the individual. if you trust the snake enough...if not dont do it.
  • 04-16-2010, 06:38 AM
    pavlovk1025
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    A ball python is not going to be able to strangle you to death, but you shouldn't really make a habit of putting snakes around your neck. there are some snakes that can easily strangle a full grown adult human so it is better to just not do it at all.

I disagree, a ball python can full well strangle you to death. Scroll down for pics of a ball python's constricting power.

Quote:

A single human will almost always be stronger then a full grown ball python.

Also, ball pythons aren't really the type of snake to kill out of fear. There is not one known death caused by a ball python.

And no, I wasnt strong enough to unwrap her, and Im a big guy. She tucked her tail, and went into strike mode and was so tightened up that i had no shot, couldnt even get a hand in there. Took her 10 minutes to ease up. By that time I couldnt feel my hand, and it stayed numb for about another hour.

Kill mode. Shes only about 1300 grams here, but solid muscle. I only have pics because I thought it was incredible that she wanted me to die so bad. Reason for the anger: I gave her a pill.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3792651_n.jpg

Notice the difference in color between my arm and my hand. It went to purple shortly after that.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6596054_n.jpg

DONT DO IT...or if you do be aware of the snake at all times. If it's around your neck like a scarf hanging down, youre fine, but dont let it wrap around your neck. Thats when problems can occur. Ive had one tighten up for warmth but it was tight enough that I god red in the face. Unwrapped that one real quick.
    Ball pythons can choke you out. Thats just the truth to it. Well the bigger ones anyway (900+ grams)
  • 04-16-2010, 08:22 AM
    JLC
    I would concede that it is within the realm of possibility for a ball python to strangle a person, even an adult....given precisely the right circumstances to allow such a thing to happen.

But the odds of something like that happening are so incredibly slim as to hardly be worth considering at all. You have a much higher risk of choking to death on a bite of steak...so maybe we should never eat when we're alone? :confused: And we should avoid stairs at all times because of the risk of tripping and falling down them. And never...ever...get into a car, those things are death-traps on wheels!
  • 04-16-2010, 11:21 AM
    Repsrul
    I just don't understand the fascination with putting a snake around your neck. I just don't get it. I would rather hold the snake in my hand where I could look at it and enjoy it.

But one of my biggest pet peeves is when adults do it around kids.
  • 04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
    flynn
    I put my balls around my neck (:O) when I'm cleaning their tubs/enclosures; have been doing that for 10 years. I don’t like to walk around too much with them around my neck though, as I'm sure it makes them feel uneasy.

I really don’t believe that a ball python can be a threat to an adult. But that’s just my opinion.
  • 04-16-2010, 12:11 PM
    WesleyTF
    If a BP were around your neck, you'd also have both hands to get at it. I find it hard to believe someone who believe there was a serious threat to their life wouldn't be able to pull a BP off their neck should the circumstance arise. I would remit that they have the capability to do it, but I wouldn't hesitate to allow one around my neck, should I be fully cognizant. I can see a drunk person passing out and being finished off by a BP, but that's one of the very few scenarios I see in which the BP wins.
  • 04-16-2010, 12:17 PM
    TessadasExotics
    Quote:

A ball python is not going to be able to strangle you to death, but you shouldn't really make a habit of putting snakes around your neck. there are some snakes that can easily strangle a full grown adult human so it is better to just not do it at all.

I can guarantee you that a ball python has enough strength to strangle a person (or even a full grown adult human )to death.

Any one who says that a ball python doesn't have the strength is lying to them selves.
  • 04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
    flynn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    I can guarantee you that a ball python has enough strength to strangle a person (or even a full grown adult human )to death.

I'm curious to know what your guarantee is based on. Do you know how much force is needed to crush an adult humans windpipe to the point of asphyxiation? Granted it would take a lot less force to slow or stop the blood flow to the brain. Have you read somewhere of this happening? Is your guarantee based on the adult being drunk or mentally handicapped or something?

I'm seriously curious to know, this is not a sarcastic post.

Since I first read this thread, I've also been wondering if everyone’s opinion would be the same if this question was posed by the politicians a few months ago, and used as cannon fodder in their move to ban some exotics.