Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,092

4 members and 1,088 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585

Ibd

Printable View

• 12-22-2006, 04:01 PM
    recycling goddess
    Ibd
    until now, i never knew that boas were carriers for ibd and they can infect a python with it. :eek: i house all my large snakes in the same room and so now i'm very concerned about this... esp with 4 balls coming from adam in the new year.

so... should i rehome my boas?
  • 12-22-2006, 04:15 PM
    RichardA
    Re: Ibd
    IBD acts very quickly in Pythons......."if" you had a problem you would probably already have seen some deaths and or other issues.
  • 12-22-2006, 04:31 PM
    recycling goddess
    oh okay... thanks *whew*
  • 12-22-2006, 05:06 PM
    wolfy-hound
    I'd like to point out that BOAS can carry IBD for years without showing it, then infect pythons that are brought into contact with them.
    If you HAVE pythons, and none have any sign of IBD, then I'd say you were safe, with your boas not being carriers. If you ONLY have boas, there is a mild risk.
    University of Florida just did some studies, and they found that Boas can carry it for long periods of tiem(full-blown) and have no syptoms.
    Wolfy
  • 12-22-2006, 05:23 PM
    Ginevive
    I really wish there were a test that cold tell you if your snake had it or not; unfortunately, everything I have read, says it can only be diagnosed postmortem..
  • 12-22-2006, 05:47 PM
    Vomitore
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginevive
    I really wish there were a test that cold tell you if your snake had it or not; unfortunately, everything I have read, says it can only be diagnosed postmortem..

*Kills all his snakes* Damn, guess none of them had it :O
  • 12-22-2006, 06:12 PM
    joepythons
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginevive

I thought there was a test that they could do on a live snake to show its possible that it might have IBD.:confused: I can not remember what someone said on the Big Daddy Wholesell thread on fauna as Alan said he had some tests run.Of course i could be wrong and i am not going to reread that WHOLE thread again lol.The whole IBD stuff is just plain sad:( .
  • 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM
    tmlowe5704
    I heard if you can flip the boa on its' back and it has problem getting straight again, then there is a sign of IBD. I heard also that once a BP comes in contact, it will be dead within a few months time.
  • 12-22-2006, 06:43 PM
    Shelby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    I heard if you can flip the boa on its' back and it has problem getting straight again, then there is a sign of IBD.

That's only if the boa is showing symptoms (neurological problems being one of them).. it's pretty easy to tell if it has IBD then. Boas can be asymptomatic carriers.. that is the problem.

IBD kills pythons very quickly. Colubrids on the other hand are completely unaffected by it.
  • 12-22-2006, 07:09 PM
    Schlyne
    There's some sort of biospy test that can be done. However, I would imagine that not that many reptile vets know how to do the test.