Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,934

1 members and 2,933 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,555
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot

hybrids

Printable View

• 01-26-2009, 11:22 AM
    ARpythons
    hybrids
    I've always been on the fence about hybrids, not really taking a strong opinion either way. as I was browsing the internet I stumbled upon a very good website that talks about hybrids and i thought I would share it for anyone that is interested http://www.vmsherp.com/LCHybridization.htm
  • 02-10-2009, 08:27 PM
    DavidG
    Re: hybrids
    Pretty sweet find. I'm not much for them unless it could happen naturally.

Carpondros are amazing!
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/144/4...9657d8.jpg?v=0

Woman and ball isn't very cool to me and I absolutely hate jungle ball crosses. I think it's a topic blown way out of proportion. People who like them are given a chance to own them and those who don't have the chance to turn it down.
  • 02-10-2009, 08:32 PM
    DutchHerp
    At the Arlington show I saw Ball x Burmese crosses... not sure if it was Constrictors Unlimited or Bob Clark.

I'm a little bit against hybrids, just think it's a little weird. Carpondros and possible Ball x Burmese are acceptable for me (even though I wouldn't get one myself) because they're the same genus.
  • 02-10-2009, 09:25 PM
    SnM_Man
    wouldnt drastic crosses cause some pretty serious genetic defects ??
  • 02-10-2009, 10:12 PM
    DavidG
    If it's capable of crossing the visible mutations would probably not be displayed.

Ie: a retic and a jungle (hypothetical) if they could cross the offspring that showed mutations (besides the desired) would be euthanized. Many hybrids are sterile as well.
  • 02-10-2009, 10:18 PM
    Jyson
    Personally I am not against it (I too am more on the fence about the subject.) But then again I just don't see a point in it, other than to worry(or confuse) people about a particular snake they might be interested in buying.
  • 02-10-2009, 11:06 PM
    DavidG
    hybrids come with the price tag to fit the genetic changes. If you don't know what it is and drop that kind of cash on one you need a new hobby.
  • 02-10-2009, 11:34 PM
    RhacHead
    I would say it has pros and cons.I've seen some pretty amazing Hybrids Carpetdro Chahoua/crested:cool: It gets tricky when these animals arent steril(sp?) get introduced into the hobby and bred.
    Personally I don't mind as long as its done in a responsible manner...

A few weeks ago I came across a Hybrid forum that has pics of various hybrids.I must say there are some cool hybrids out there:D

http://www.hybridhaven.net/index.php
  • 02-15-2009, 05:16 PM
    smilin-buddha
    I have a few as long as they are properly represented I see nothing wrong with it.