Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,883

0 members and 2,883 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

cleaning?

Printable View

• 05-23-2006, 12:27 AM
    shorty
    cleaning?
    I was wondering how often a tank should be cleaned. I can't imagine it being much more than once a month. Just incase there's something i'm not considering, please let me know. Thanks.
  • 05-23-2006, 12:38 AM
    Shelby
    Re: cleaning?
    I clean all cages weekly. Feces and urates should be removed as soon as you see them. I use newspaper sheets as substrate, so I don't have the option of just scooping out the dirty spots and leaving the rest. I spray each cage down with chlorhexadine solution as disinfectant.

All water bowls should be disinfected every single week without fail.. this is the most important part, but a weekly cleaning is a good schedule to be on.
  • 05-23-2006, 08:43 AM
    ddbjdealer
    I do cage cleanings once a week as well. As far as complete tear-downs with disinfecting the entire cage/furniture, that only happens once every 3 months for me. Being that I have so many cages though, I'm still doing it once a month, just have three different cycles. :)

Like Shelby said, the water bowl gets disenfected EVERY week... (or disposed of and replaced, in my case :) )... the substrate gets changed every week, and poop, urates and shed skin is removed upon sighting.
  • 05-23-2006, 10:31 AM
    Shelby
    Yes I love my disposable water dishes.. saves sooo much time.
  • 05-23-2006, 10:33 AM
    ddbjdealer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelby
    Yes I love my disposable water dishes.. saves sooo much time.

Now... only to get running water in my herp room! lol I used to fill a 1 gallon jug and go back and forth to the sink to fill it up and fill about 5 deli cups.... now I have a 5 gallon water bottle in the herp room with a spigot on it... can fill two entire juvi racks (24) and still have a spit left over for somethin else. :)
  • 05-23-2006, 10:36 AM
    Shelby
    Yes.. I wish I had a sink up here. I've got several one gallon jugs laying around. I end up washing my hands several times during cleaning day, so every time I go down to do that, I just fill another jug. I get my workout running up and down the stairs. lol
  • 05-23-2006, 10:44 AM
    Emilio
    Do they ever knock over the deli cup's? They weigh alot less right.
  • 05-23-2006, 10:47 AM
    Shelby
    The small snakes do not (they are of course heavier when full of water) but the larger snakes get a PVC holder for their deli cup. It's heavy and is low and wide enough that I have never had anyone tip it.. even my 11lb blood python.