Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,300

6 members and 1,294 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
    exile me from, morgantown, WEST VIRGINIA. =/ plzkthnxbai.
    Thanks

carpet python pricing and a few other questions..

I'm not really looking for the price of any particular carpet..actually, a list of all carpets with their individual prices is perferred. No, I don't want the cheapest prices, but rather an average and what I should expect to pay at an expo for all the species.

Also, is a hide box needed along as branches/shelves for perching or will hides be just fine? And do carpets make good display snakes? (meaning, are they constantly hiding like bps?)

AIM; justlikeice22
    YIM; peppered12321
    dub it a hackneyed, faux demeanor; you'll ultimately stand corrected.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: carpet python pricing and a few other questions..

jungles go from 100-500 for the most part, based on quality

coastals go for 100-250 for the most part, based on quality

IJs I'm a little unclear on the price range but pretty equally affordable.

bredlis are in the 200 range, and seem to have a little less variability in pricing than the above 3

pure diamonds seem to hover around 1k

mutts and intergrades are highly variable from under $100 for complete mutts to over $700 for high % Diamond x jungles.

Morphs you might find at expos are granites and het granites (originating from the IJ subspecies) and jags. I'm unclear on current prices for these as both have been dropping drastically, and get highly variable once you start mixing morphs into intergrade carpets.

I've seen a spectacular 88% diamond x jungle jaguar at over 2k, and I've seen coastal jaguars at 300 or less.

Feel free to correct any of my price estimates but they are the best I can give with my limited window-shopping and drooling.

The important thing to know is that carpets are much more variable in pricing than ball pythons. It seems that for a particular morph in BPs, a price is pretty fixed for a given couple of months across the board. It's easy to find a carpet that costs 3x as much as another that is "the same morph" or "same % intergrade".
    Last edited by mainbutter; 11-21-2009 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks

Also, is a hide box needed along as branches/shelves for perching or will hides be just fine? And do carpets make good display snakes? (meaning, are they constantly hiding like bps?)

I am far from an expert, but i can tell you from my experience. My carpet never went into her hide, she coiled up on top of it.

right now she has a large grape vine stump and a dowl rod going across the midline of her enclosure. she will coil up on the stump and when its time to eat she will hang from the dowl and look around.

she is also very visable and appears to seek attention, when people look inside.
    0.1 Norm BP-Dahlia
    0.1 Norm IJCP-Samantha
    1.0 Blizzard corn-steve
    1.0 chihuahua-napoleon
    1.0 cooter

Thanks

A hide is just fine. I would put one on both ends of the tank. You will notice him basking on top of it more hiding though. He will hide after a meal. Carpets roam a good bit and seem to feel pretty secure in more open areas.
    Chondro-holic

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Yeap, it's official.

David is the official BP.net Morelia-picture-taker-putter-on-the-internet-er!

Thanks

I don't use a hide for mine. He doesn't use it, and prefers to perch or sit outside of it anyway.

I usually see Jungles between 100-400 based on quality and Jags 900 and above. I've seen a few that are in the 1.2-1.3k range.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

I am far from an expert as well, I have only about a half year with my girl right now.

I give my girl two hide boxes. She uses both of them, though the warm side certainly gets used more than the cool side. She definitely doesn't use them all the time, but does like to make use of them after eating and during the daytime more than any other time. At the very least they are extra perches, and the warm box does give her some extra choices for thermoregulation (as it does provide a slight increase in temperature inside)