Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 783

0 members and 783 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,546
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
    Registered User theartofsolitude's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool My bp is getting fat

I feed my 19 inch bp every 5 days.. coz he usually goes out his hide after 5 days and starts crawling around the terrarium. most of the time, he does this when i turn the room light on and that gives him the signal that i just got back from work and somehow tells me that he is ready to eat. i dont feed him if he doesnt expose himself out of the hide. apparently he does this every 5 days, or sometimes on 6th day. i feed him a pretty large f/t small adult mice or 2 hoppers. the small adult mice is more of like a bit larger than the widest part of his body.

am i feeding too much? should i cut down.. he looks really healthy and massive compared to how i got him from the petstore.
    Last edited by theartofsolitude; 07-27-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks

Re: My bp is getting fat

Quote Originally Posted by kiddomarc View Post
    I feed my 19 inch bp every 5 days.. coz he usually goes out his hide after 5 days and starts crawling around the terrarium. most of the time, he does this when i turn the room light on and that gives him the signal that i just got back from work and somehow tells me that he is ready to eat. i dont feed him if he doesnt expose himself out of the hide. apparently he does this every 5 days, or sometimes on 6th day. i feed him a pretty large f/t small adult mice or 2 hoppers. the small adult mice is more of like a bit larger than the widest part of his body.

am i feeding too much? should i cut down.. he looks really healthy and massive compared to how i got him from the petstore.
    It sounds like he's really liking the food every five days =D. I would just start every seven days. It doesn't sound like your trying to get him to breeding size so I would just simmer back a little bit with the food.

Good luck my man!
    -Payson!

Thanks

I would stay on 5 days. I feed all of mine 5 days until they reach about 500 grams. Most of the time they will stop eating for breeding season anyway. Might as well, have him at a good weight when he does Good Luck!
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stratus_020202 View Post
    Most of the time they will stop eating for breeding season anyway.
    Tell my males that
    Not one has gone off feed in two seasons of heavy breeding.

After the initial couple of months of life that they eat everything in sight I drop my males back to once a week and no more.
    Last edited by snakesRkewl; 07-27-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    Tell my males that
    Not one has gone off feed in two seasons of heavy breeding.

After the initial couple of months of life that they eat everything in sight I drop my males back to once a week and no more.
    Really? Must be nice. My male normal was the only one who quit eating for about 7 months straight. He's back on steady now, but my pastel male was about once a month during season, and now nothing. They can be such pains.

I keep my adult males at every two weeks, but I like to keep the babies going. Male or female stay every 5 days until 500 g's then they get bumped to every 7. It doesn't hurt to feed them if they are hungry, but I breed rats, so I also do it to keep the population down. Lol. I guess it's different if you buy.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stratus_020202 View Post
    It doesn't hurt to feed them if they are hungry, but I breed rats, so I also do it to keep the population down. Lol. I guess it's different if you buy.
    Young males I agree.
    I feed males as much as they'll eat to around 350-400 grams and then once a week from then on.
    ATM I have14 female rats breeding and 12 asf females and always have surplus food
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

depends if you think he looks fat to you if so and you want to feed less often go with bigger prey i just did this with my blood python which is around a year old went from eating a large mouse weekly to eating a rat about twice the size of the mouse every 2 to 3 weeks and since doing so my blood has gotten allot bigger person i got it from was shocked when he saw his old baby today he even said to the fact out of the ones he kept mine is by far the biggest. but I've had a few gravid mice die from falling and so instead of throwing them out fed to the blood so in essence with normal size of litter i get the blood got at least 10 pinkies and an adult mouse mammeries full of milk at least twice.