Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 877

1 members and 876 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,546
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Need a little bit of advice

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    You said you have been handling him daily, he may be stressed out, leave him alone for about a week, no handling except to clean something messy, then offer the appropriate sized prey item, see if that works.
    I agree, I have one that really seems to enjoy being held for a while but I limit the "hands on" to once or twice a week. He is also not much fun to feed, what I have to do is put the f/t rat in the enclosure, turn out his light and hang a towel over the viewing side of the tank. He wont take it from tongs, or if I am watching...yeah, I cant even watch! But as soon as the lights go out and the towel is up, that rat is gone, I have a shy Python, lol.
    It takes the fun out of the "feeding response" I was wanting to see, but as long as he is happy I do what I have to do because I know how picky they can be to begin with.
    And feeding in the enclosure is fine, just make sure you wash your hands after messing with the rats / mice before putting your hands back in there, if you smell like food he may try to take a nibble, lol.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonygreif/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyaltn

2.0 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Albino Burmese Python
    0.1 Pastel Boa BCI
    1.0 Dwarf Boa
    1.0 Dwarf Boa (Different Locality)
    1.0 Reverse Okeetee Corn

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1 View Post
    It's not a problem how he eats, I just don't like the idea of him eating in his tank. I think it's more a personal problem because my hand's in the tank cleaning and moving stuff around and I don't want him taking a strike at me again
    its been proven time and time again, feeding in the tank is better and more logical. theres no reason to feed outside the tank unless you want to stress your animal

Thanks

I didn't really bother with it last week, it only came out twice because I've been busy. I didn't try feeding off the tongs, I just put the rat on his stone, it usually eats them over night but it was still there in the morning and same with the mouse.

Thanks

It's still not eating. Shall I try it on live?

Thanks

Hello and welcome,
    do you still try f/t food? Or do you leave living food in the tank over the night? As long as my english is not the best, I didn't get it clearly.

If you may worry about the humidity, put a wetbox in the tank! we have one at every ball, filled with sphagnum, and it keeps humidity over a long period without spraying at all.
    best regards, Timo

JNballs@Facebook

Thanks

I've been leaving f/t on his hide overnight like the guy before me did. But I've bought mice today, if he doesn't take then I guess I've got a few new pets.

Thanks

Hiya

You've had your ball for just over two weeks now it seems. He has already eaten a mouse that you left in his cage overnight on his hide.... This is good.

I would not even consider feeding live or changing anything else when it comes to feeding. The ball is used to feeding a particular way, stick with that.... the more you chop and change feedings the greater the chance he will stress and stop eating all together... then what will you try?

He is probably still settling in, or is not hungry..... leave him alone for a few more weeks then try again... if your husbandry is correct and you keep trying to feed him in a way that he is used to then he'll eat when he is ready.....

He looks in pretty good shape so skipping a meal, or even 10 won't do him much harm... just avoid changing things too much for the little fella.... give him time to settle in....

Get some FT rats and mice and keep em in the freezer, give him 2 weeks with minimal disturbance then try feeding again.....
    http://www.ballpythonssa.co.za - Home of Iron Balls Ball Pythons
    3.3 Normals - 1.2 100% Het Albino - 1.1 Spider
    0.1 Pastel - 1.0 VPI Axanthic - 0.1 VPI Het Axanthic
    1.0 Het Pied - 0.1 Pied - 0.1 Het Ghost
    0.1 Butter - 1.0 Cinnamon - 1.1 Yellow Belly
    1.0 - Super Pastel - 1.0 Ghost - 1.0 Mojave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu Boy View Post
    You've had your ball for just over two weeks now it seems. He has already eaten a mouse that you left in his cage overnight on his hide.... This is good.
    I've had it for nearly 2 months and it's eaten twice but it hasn't eaten for 3 weeks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

I'd feed him live but then I feed everything live

Good looking boy by the way
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Thanks, I did buy live mice but I can't bring myself to putting them in it's tank.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast