Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,029

3 members and 3,026 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Think my Mojave might be sick

I'm new to owning bp on 4/20 bought a 8-9 month old male Mojave from pet store he hadn't ate since 4/4 I fed him the day I got him he ate almost as soon as I put mouse in tank he pooped normal looking turd with urates 4/22 4/23 there was a normal turd 4/24 there was a urates and a pile of poop 4/25 after handling him I placed him back in tank and he went what I can best describe as bird poop(white/clear and kinda runny no ball or pellets) 4/27 same thing as the previous day i called the pet store they said that it's normal and to call back Monday 4/29 and they will let me know when their vet is available other than the consistency and the amount of times he pooped everything is normal with him(his movement and what not) has this happened with anyone else and should i be concerned i do have pic of poop from 4/26

Thanks
    Thanked 19,899 Times in 11,890 Posts
    Snakes don't always expel fecal material (brown stuff) when they go- sometimes it's just the urates (which can vary from white to gray, cream or yellow in color or light greenish, etc.) What you don't want to see is orange-red. Posting pics would help here. Also, snakes don't usually "go" every day, so? And "watery" may or may not mean anything.

But one thing you DON'T want to do is handle a new snake until they have fed regularly on normal schedule (about once a week for your young one) without refusals unless in shed, for at least THREE meals. The worst thing you can do is further stress a new snake, especially if you think he might be sick, & trust me, even though many snakes are peaceful when handled, it's still very stressful for them, especially when they're in a new home.

Also, handling a snake that's not used to it can make them refuse to eat- & trust me, that's no fun at all. So increase handling gradually, & be patient. Snakes are shy souls, & in the wild, the only thing that picks them up is a predator about to eat them. So you can see why handling might be stressful for them, eh?

Your snake obviously came from a pet store, so he was already exposed to more than his share of pathogens that can make him sick, so for his natural immune system to work properly, you want to minimize his stress at this time- ie. stop handling him for a while until he settles in.

Meanwhile, watch for snake mites- many snakes in pet stores have them, as they're very contagious. When their numbers reproduce exponentially, they can kill a snake sooner than you think, even though individually they're tiny & seem "harmless". They're not harmless, & also hard to get rid off, so let's hope your snake doesn't have them...but look closely, & keep looking. If you see any, they must be treated. Snake mites can also spread diseases among snakes.

BTW...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-27-2024 at 03:01 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (04-27-2024),Homebody (04-27-2024)

Thanks

Re: Think my Mojave might be sick

Thank you for info