Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,219

4 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,566
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai

Thread: Got the rats.

Thanks

Got the rats.

Ok well I just got back from buying my first pair of breeding feeder rats, These are HUGE (well bigger than im used too). They gave us a female that is already pregnant. I had some 10 gallon tanks to put them in but when I saw then I quickly moved them up in size of enclosure. I looked at the male and female and I cant tell the difference except the female is smaller and her belly is really plump, is that normal for females when they are pregnant? Oh and the rats were priced at $8 each but they sold them to us for $6, so hopefully thats a good deal and will pay for its self. Im waiting until I get some more big tanks or lab style cages before I get more, maybe I can talk them out of one of the Freedom Breeder racks (they have too many anyways )

Thanks

Re: Got the rats.

who did you get them from? Also congrads!

R.I.P. Rena Ross 1-31-07 11:00 A.M. CST

Thanks

it was a local reptile shop, they also gave me a 2 pound bag of Harlan-Teklad (or however you spell it )

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

If they had Harlan-Tekland, that's a pretty darn good pet store.

Yeah, females are smaller than males, and they'll look like they swallowed a tennis ball about 5-7 days before they give birth.

Congrats, sounds like you got a good deal!

Thanks

Ummm how do I put this delicately LOL. Aric if they are breeding size rats there is no way you can't "tell the difference". Male rats are rather ummmm "blessed" in that department LOL.

Getting a female already pregnant from the pet store may not be the bargain you believe. They do sound like a decent pet shop but just be aware that sometimes when females breed in a busy pet store environment like that where they are with a lot of other rats, they are stressed and don't have the best of litters. Make sure this female is by herself so she can de-stress and not compete for anything. Lots of peace and quiet, tons of water and food and bedding to make her nest with. Don't worry but do be aware she may not deliver as successfully as a female that is bred in a more controlled manner.

If she's like most rats she will get quite large. You may see her start to sprawl over on her side or even do the "dead rat" thing. Females very full with a large litter will sleep full on their backs and it's sort of startling...they appear dead! LOL They are fine...just close to delivery. Usually about 24 hours before they drop their litters they will build huge nests though I have some females here that don't build a nest until after they have delivered all their pinks.

Have fun! Rat breeding is a lot of fun, a bit of work but very rewarding when you can see the top quality food you've raised for your snakes.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Getting a female already pregnant from the pet store may not be the bargain you believe. They do sound like a decent pet shop but just be aware that sometimes when females breed in a busy pet store environment like that where they are with a lot of other rats, they are stressed and don't have the best of litters.
    She was in a large cage type thing with the male and another female. Shes been eating alot too and sleeping alot since she got here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Male rats are rather ummmm "blessed" in that department LOL.
    my male has big balls....is that what we're talking about?
    LOL

good luck with your rats.
    I have a beige female, a black dumbo female, and an albino male (the one with the big balls). male kept apart obviously.My male is a sweetheart! He was supposed to be dinner for our female bp but she took to F/T and well I rather it be that way.
    My female dumbo is sassy! But the other one, Fat Ma, would be great for breeding....I've thought about it but Im not sure about all the ins and outs. beside my landlord is my Granny and she lives below me..shed kick my puerto rican/polish behind if she found out I had pet rats! We lie as it is!
    *_*Erica*_*
    And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance,character; and character, hope.
    Romans 5:2-4

Thanks

well I just went to look at the male and I can see what you mean compaired to the female

Thanks

Yeah, if it is a male rat, it is a male rat, there will be NO doubt about that, they will be dragging like pontoons behind him
    bryan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeySnakeSnake
    Yeah, if it is a male rat, it is a male rat, there will be NO doubt about that, they will be dragging like pontoons behind him
    oh my gosh that is the funniest thing I have heard all day!
    I almost fell outta my chair here at work!
    thanks for that pick-me-up!
    *_*Erica*_*
    And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance,character; and character, hope.
    Romans 5:2-4