Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,158

0 members and 2,158 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot

Thread: live feeding

Thanks

live feeding

I'm seriously thinking of going to feeding live. We have a girl that hasn't eaten voluntarily since we got her at the end of Oct, I offered her a live hopper mouse (too small but it's all the local guy had & I wanted to try something that had less chance of hurting her if she wasn't interested) & she snapped it up. A few days later (4-5 days) offered her a couple live fuzzy mice (again too small but all the local guy had this time & I like the idea of her getting something in her) & she snapped them up too.

I also have a guy who ate f/t last week (his first meal here) but this week he refused 2 different f/t mice (one stank, don't know if that has anything to do with refusal), so I tried a couple live fuzzies (too small but all local guy had at time) & he ate em right up.

I don't like opening the frozen mice & have them stink to high heaven, this is another reason I'm thinking of going to live. Of course, it seems, the one will have to have live anyway.

It seems to be less of a hassle to feed live.

Thanks

Re: live feeding

Whatever they eat is good because you don't want to keep your ball pythons hungry for a long period of time trying to feed him f/t or p/k but the only thing you need to do if you feed live is supervise on it when it is feeding. Mice and Rats can be deadly to a ball python. I have seen punctured eyes and necks all over the web.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PythonFan8
    Mice and Rats can be deadly to a ball python. I have seen punctured eyes and necks all over the web.
    I totally agree on the fact that feeding must be supervise now keep in mind that "Those pics all over the web" are not examples of feeding gone wrong but the stupidity of some owners leaving a live prey that is way too big to start with and left overnight or several days with a snake"

Horror stories are for most, the results of stupid owners.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I'd never leave it in there & I'd definately watch & remove the rodent if there was a problem or the snake wasn't interested.

I watched with the hopper & fuzzies, I was prepared to remove them if needed.

I'm ecstatic that the one finally ate, though.

Thanks

I agree with you on the live. I had a few snakes that were difficult or non-weekly feeders on f/t. I have switch everyone over to live mice and everyone eats every week. I have notice the feeding response has sky rocketed and the mice are ussually gone within 10 mins for the entire rack. I have also switched over to Adam's small feeding plan, and I am sure that helps with the consistent feedings. Regardless, feeding weekly causes me less stress....so happy snakes = happy owner!

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have always fed live, and have never had a problem. Just have to be vigilant.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PipeDADDY
    I have also switched over to Adam's small feeding plan, and I am sure that helps with the consistent feedings.
    Where can we find this? thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nathanledet
    It is something informal that Adam has stated in past posts. I have created this rough guideline based on that info. (Adam has stated that he doesn't weigh his prey, but this is his educated guess). This is an effort to encourage weekly feedings without a snake going off-feed all year long. Many BP.net members have stated they feed "small" each week with alot of success. Adam also feeds live and as he said.....he maybe has one snake that doesn't eat each week out of his whole collection. Hope this helps

0y04m 20-25g
    1y04m 30-35g
    2y04m+ 40-50g

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nathanledet

It explains how he feeds his BP on his website http://www.8ballpythons.com/journal/caresheet.htm

Feeding a prey smaller then the girth size once weekly allow your BP to feed with consistency some BP that are overfed will fast to catch up

The biggest prey being fed does not need to be bigger then small/small rats even with adult BP
    Deborah Stewart