Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,996

1 members and 2,995 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Stopping imports(and a Couple questions)

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    I think it's still "could" unless shown otherwise. It still seems to me that a population of harmless snakes capable of keeping the rodent population down would be much more of a benefit than a nuisance.
    From what I hear, it can get so bad that they are showing up inside of homes, under the hoods of cars, etc ... they are on the verge of "pest" status.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KalonjiBP
    what i though happened to imported balls that get put in homes/or hands of ppl who don't know what there doing and then the snakes end up dying.
    You could say that about ANY animal ... birds, dogs, fish, etc .... That is a very PETA-ish train of thought and PETA won't stop at stopping imports ... they won't stop until there are no more pets, zoos, research, etc.

There is good and bad with anything ... the trick is to find the best balance you can and educate educate educate ... it's a lot better solution than stopping importation entirely which could potentially have a profound ecological impact in West Africa as well as hurting an economy.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

what i want to know is... when the heck can we start exporting white tailed deer?? all these starving people can have some of our deer... there's just way too many.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    From what I hear, it can get so bad that they are showing up inside of homes, under the hoods of cars, etc ... they are on the verge of "pest" status.

-adam
    In Andreas Kirschner's book the ball python (1st ed.), he states that wild ball populations seem to prefer (and prosper in) the more open habitat of agricultural areas. It is believed they prefer these habitats due to higher rodent densities among other things. So with more and more land being turned into fields for crops and grazing, we can only expect the BP population size to increase in the future. It is likely that wild ball populations are higher now than they have ever been.

-Evan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kzooherpetoculturist
    what i want to know is... when the heck can we start exporting white tailed deer?? all these starving people can have some of our deer... there's just way too many.
    Not here in Utah, deer populations are on the decline. We mainly have mule deer, but also a few poputations of white tailed deer too, both of which are getting smaller each year.

-Evan

Thanks

That is refreshing to hear; that they're not in much danger in the wild.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

VP of Cool
    Thanks

Moving this thread down here.
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kzooherpetoculturist
    I second that!!!

How bout sending some rabbits along with them???? Ooops, I forgot they already ruined Australia trying to do that...........

Thanks

Lol, if you guys in utah want some white-tails- i have hit one with the explorer, and after feeling sick once i got home and dropped off what i had to- i drove back to atleast pull it off the road so it wouldn't get smashed up- that sucker was GONE
    now either we have some hungry folks (people i know have hit deer and then eaten them..... apparently 'good eatin')
    or
    that deer was a freaking monster. i mean it wasn't a tap, i knocked it with half of the front of our '96 explorer doing 50.
    these suckers are power feeding or something. its a wonder they havent become carniverous down here. on average i can see as many as 20 on my way home. from town that's an average of one every minute.

that was oober ot- sorry!

note: until someone can dig up some factual smactual sites with prehaps some cute little pie charts or line graphs showing bp populations in urbanizing africa- im so so. i would like to think they're just over populated, but could it probably just the ole' encroaching civilization into wilderness? then again im just guessing with no facts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123