Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,064

1 members and 3,063 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,555
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: putting mice to sleep

The search feature is your best friend.....

we have lots of threads on this very thing in the appropriate forum, including stickies for your convienence....the feeders forum...

I MOVED THIS THREAD TO THE RIGHT FORUM.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH
    CO2 on the other hand is something that doesn't kill them right away. It's "painless", but it does take some time! Ever have your breath cutoff by being choked out or the likes?
    The physiological reaction to these two things are so different from each other, I honestly do not see how you can make that comparison with a straight face! lol

Thanks

I just put em in a container and into the freezer they go...........Go ahead slam me for my cruel way........but it works........and lets be real here......they are food! These are not pets, these are food. If I was to put them in live with the snake they would die a far worse death. I see this discussion all the time.....kinda makes me laugh....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slithers
    you can use CO2 or you can whack em against a wall.

whats wrong with F/T? it gets rid of all the parasites. do you raise your own mice?

good luck.
    He said humane. Whacking against a wall isn't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Creatures
    I just put em in a container and into the freezer they go...........Go ahead slam me for my cruel way........but it works........and lets be real here......they are food! These are not pets, these are food. If I was to put them in live with the snake they would die a far worse death. I see this discussion all the time.....kinda makes me laugh....
    Disgusting..Freezing is a far worse death than being constricted by a snake. Have a little respect for the animals that keep your snakes healthy, growing and breeding for you. You deserve to be slammed..And then maybe frozen?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH
    Not to start a debate but how is wacking them against the wall be less humane that CO2? When they're slammed against a wall, table etc. its instant death, unless you give a little girly swing (no offense). They're dead before they knew what hit them and it is much faster! CO2 on the other hand is something that doesn't kill them right away. It's "painless", but it does take some time! Ever have your breath cutoff by being choked out or the likes? I have when we were doing combatives in the army during training and it doesn't feel much good at all. I'd imagine this is what it feels like to be put down by CO2. You really do freak out alot, and then you start to "lose it" towards what you think, and your awareness. I do believe "wacking" the prey Item against a wall or something of the likes is as humane if not more so than CO2. Myself, I'd much rather go down instantly and pain free, than suffocating no matter how quick it is.
    I don't mean to be harsh or mean, but you have no clue what you are talking about.

Studies have been done by actual scientists and the AVMA has certified CO2 euthanization as one of the most humane methods of euthanization, much moreso than blunt trauma. Blunt trauma is NOT humane by any stretch of the imagination, and the "time" element in which you are basing your arguement upon is irrelevent in determining what is and isn't humane. Sure, if you threw the rodent off the top floor of a high rise, death might be instant, but that doesn't make it humane.

Before you reply, take some time to read this and think your position over.

http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_we...euthanasia.pdf
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    I don't mean to be harsh or mean, but you have no clue what you are talking about.

Studies have been done by actual scientists and the AVMA has certified CO2 euthanization as one of the most humane methods of euthanization, much moreso than blunt trauma. Blunt trauma is NOT humane by any stretch of the imagination, and the "time" element in which you are basing your arguement upon is irrelevent in determining what is and isn't humane. Sure, if you threw the rodent off the top floor of a high rise, death might be instant, but that doesn't make it humane.

Before you reply, take some time to read this and think your position over.

http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_we...euthanasia.pdf
    Great post Brad!

Thanks

LOL.............all this over a mouse that is about to become lunch for my snake. Dont get me wrong......I have respect for nature and all animals......however lets have (insert local chicken place here) start buying only CO2'ed chickens and see how long that lasts........LOL Freezing them is just as humane as starving them for air......and that is all CO2 does......dont think for a minute that mouse is in a happy place either way. I have done much looking into CO2 chambers. Just seems a little to much for a mouse bound for the freezer anyway. Using CO2 does not make the mouse any better for the snake, it adds no benefit to the food value. Now if you are breeding large scale, then yes a CO2 is the only way.........course you are killing 200 mice at a time then.........

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Creatures
    LOL.............all this over a mouse that is about to become lunch for my snake. Dont get me wrong......I have respect for nature and all animals......however lets have (insert local chicken place here) start buying only CO2'ed chickens and see how long that lasts........LOL Freezing them is just as humane as starving them for air......and that is all CO2 does......dont think for a minute that mouse is in a happy place either way. I have done much looking into CO2 chambers. Just seems a little to much for a mouse bound for the freezer anyway. Using CO2 does not make the mouse any better for the snake, it adds no benefit to the food value. Now if you are breeding large scale, then yes a CO2 is the only way.........course you are killing 200 mice at a time then.........
    You have no clue.

Let me expound on that. Where exactly do you get that freezing is just as humane as CO2? CO2 and Cervical Dislocation are the only 2 humane methods of euthanization that are recognized. Its obvious you couldn't care less about the prey item, so I doubt you'll be convinced by any FACTS.

Thanks

Nightmare...please read that article. Just by what you just said, it goes to show you have some major misconceptions about the FACTS surrounding this issue.
    -Brad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast