Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,926

2 members and 2,924 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,555
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    VP of Cool
    Thanks

Re: putting mice to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    You deserve to be slammed..And then maybe frozen?
    I know this is a topic that brings out the worst in us at times(I know I have been there many times). However, lets try and keep ourselves from making comments like this shall we? It sure as hec isn't going to convince the other party that they are in the wrong. If escalation of this type continues, then I'm afraid I'm gonna have to shut this one down.
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I agree, being choked out is nothing like CO2 narcosis. High CO2/Low oxygen is something im somewhat experienced with because of my freediving training. As CO2 levels get high it is a very peaceful somewhat numbing feeling. I have done breath holds to very near the point of blacking out (bloood oxygen saturation in the low 40% range, i think black out normally happens at around 30ish, normal is 98-100) and the only discomfort was the fact that i wasnt physically breathing. As soon as i exhale the discomfort is gone and all that is left is the very calm relaxed somewhat medicated feeling. The key is not to raise the CO2 levels too quickly. If the levels are raised to quickly then it burns the lungs and does cause some discomfort, that is why it is raised to the levels needed to put them to sleep first, then increased to lethal levels. I have a formula somewhere of what the percentages are for each of those, and what volume of CO2 is formed by a certain mix of baking soda and vinegar. Later on today ill try to find those numbers, and post a picture of my gas chamber. I have tested it on mouse i bought just to make sure it was going to work properly. The mouse was rather active at first in the chamber. Once the gas started in it began to stagger as it was walking, then laid over. A few seconds later I mixed the second batch of gas, and in a min or two it simply quit breathing. It never squealed, or acted uncomfortable. The only thing i noticed was it staggering around. Next time i will put some bedding in the chamber and darken it so that the mouse would be more likely to be bedded down. If wanted i can video it next time i gas a mouse and post a link to photobucket.

Thanks

Richard, it's obvious you have your own belief system when it comes to the euthanization of prey creatures, however, please allow for other members to offer both their own experience and documented information on what is considered to be proper methods without basically laughing at them. A large part of the function of this forum is sharing information people can depend upon. Should they choose to use or disregard that is their choice of course, as it is yours.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    You have no clue.
    Compared to who? Someone that has a couple of snakes and feeds a whopping 3 or 4 mice a month........LOL There is a way to do what needs to be done.......some do it one way......some do it another.......but in the end the mice die regardless. So really all we are doing is trying to make ourselves feel better about killing a helpless little mouse to feed to our snakes that we keep in containers 1/100th the size of their natural habitat. Out of all the topics herpers talk about, this is by far one of the most debated. This and PK vs. live. The only way this could get any more friendly is if we add politics to the discussion.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Creatures
    Compared to who? Someone that has a couple of snakes and feeds a whopping 3 or 4 mice a month........LOL There is a way to do what needs to be done.......some do it one way......some do it another.......but in the end the mice die regardless. So really all we are doing is trying to make ourselves feel better about killing a helpless little mouse to feed to our snakes that we keep in containers 1/100th the size of their natural habitat. Out of all the topics herpers talk about, this is by far one of the most debated. This and PK vs. live. The only way this could get any more friendly is if we add politics to the discussion.....
    This is the farthest thing from PK vs. live.

Thanks

I just seen the MODs post............I agree......I am done........

Thanks

Piranha, you're right about the effect of CO2 at different concentrations. Page 10 of the article I posted (http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_we...uthanasia.pdf).
    -Brad

Thanks

I just seen the MODs post............I agree......I am done........
    He said nothing about whether or not this should be debated.

Thanks

Well.......to get back to the real subject here.......CO2......I am not opposed to it at all.....so lets see some of you guys/gals chambers........give everyone here an idea or two on construction and so on.

Thanks

Originally Posted by jglass38
    You have no clue.
    Compared to who?
    Compared to board certified veterinarians who have done methodical studies on the matter.
    -Brad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast