Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,010

1 members and 3,009 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,555
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    VP of Cool
    Thanks

Re: putting mice to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    He said nothing about whether or not this should be debated.
    Exactly Jamie! Feel free to debate it. But you have to agree not to rip off each others arms and beat each other over the heads with it.
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Im in class right now, but ill post a pic of mine soon as i get out. Give me about 30 mins or so. The only fault i have with it is a need a bigger cup because of the ammount of vinegar needed for the second dose, so i pull the plug on the first cup, after black out the second, once the second drains i pour some more into that cup so it drains into the system.

Thanks

I wrote up a thread on the use of Dry Ice for CO2 euthanization. It's a lot more cost effective than using gas chambers with CO2 cartridges for one, and Dry Ice subliminated at a reasonalbly slow rate, so you reduce the chance that you increase the concentration of CO2 too quickly. You would need some kind of regulator on a CO2 cartridge to ensure the concentration does not increase too quickly. For a small operation, under 20-30 mice/rats, I think the dry ice method's simplicity is a major advantage.
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    Compared to board certified veterinarians who have done methodical studies on the matter.
    Who.....in turn.......mostly are not involved in the keeping/breeding of snakes or mice for that matter. They are asked to do a test, they did the test....I dont disagree with them.....My point was simply that in the end the outcome is the same with little difference in the middle. I have said it before I will say it again, CO2 works fine, so does my method.....so does Andrews method. A question was asked, I gave MY answer....now this has gone to us debating it....thats fine. I still think we should have some pics/guides on building a chamber for referrence also.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

For CO2 containers i would go with large paintball tank, and the product they call a remote, which is a hose with a valve on it. I dont see a way to use the small 12 gram cartridges properly. If im not mistaken in the sticky topic in this forum about this very topic there are plans for a dry ice chamber, and as i said a few mins ago. My baking soda/vinegar chamber will be posted very soon. If anyone requests i can video the gassing process and post it on photobucket. I dont remember what it cost to make, but im pretty sure it was less that 20 bucks, i think more like 15. Also, not knocking your method, but look into cervical dislocation. Just as quick and doesnt require anything special to do it.
    Last edited by piranhaking; 10-20-2006 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Creatures
    Who.....in turn.......mostly are not involved in the keeping/breeding of snakes or mice for that matter. They are asked to do a test, they did the test....I dont disagree with them.....My point was simply that in the end the outcome is the same with little difference in the middle. I have said it before I will say it again, CO2 works fine, so does my method.....so does Andrews method. A question was asked, I gave MY answer....now this has gone to us debating it....thats fine. I still think we should have some pics/guides on building a chamber for referrence also.
    You gave a response to the question asked that was simply wrong. I corrected you by stating facts and cited my source. Stating facts is not a debate, as you can not debate actual facts.

It only becomes a debate when one side of the issue doesn't want to hear the facts or do any research on their own.
    -Brad

Thanks

I have seen the medium cartridges like that with a valve at Wal-mart before.....not sure a good way to hook it up and all.........I guess with a small chamber it would be fine?

I read an article about the dry ice method......seems to work fairly well. I dont have a dry ice supplier close to me though.....so CO2 would be the easiest for some one like myself.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think what you saw at walmart was probably the larger disposable cartridges that are made to use on guns that use the regular tanks and the "valve" with them is just an adapter that screws into the guns threads and punctures the cartridge, but doesnt allow for any flow control I may be wrong though. Were the tanks you saw silver, or black?

Thanks

I dont recall the color.........seems like they did have a small regulator on them though.

Thanks

Well I would like to apologize for allowing myself to take the debate highway today..... I am sorry......we have used up a lot of thread space going back and forth over this and I should have kept my comments to myself.

I do want to see some chambers to see if my idea of one is the same as others. I am sorry if I upset anyone with the way I handle my feeders.

Carry on!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast