Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,125

1 members and 1,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585

Thread: Power Outages

Thanks

Power Outages

I live in Richmond, Va and sometimes we get power outages. Now, snakes rely on heatlamps, heating pads, heating tape, and so on for thier heat. What happens when the power goes out? I want to be prepared just in case. I don't want my little Zim getting too chilly or possibly freezing to death. (One year we had a really bad icestorm and the temp in the house went down in the 30s-40s. Also with hurricanes and such, the power tends to go off. (During Isabel, my house lost power for two weeks.) Not good if I have a snake.

So what do you do when the power fails?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Power Outages

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny
    I live in Richmond, Va and sometimes we get power outages. Now, snakes rely on heatlamps, heating pads, heating tape, and so on for thier heat. What happens when the power goes out? I want to be prepared just in case. I don't want my little Zim getting too chilly or possibly freezing to death. (One year we had a really bad icestorm and the temp in the house went down in the 30s-40s. Also with hurricanes and such, the power tends to go off. (During Isabel, my house lost power for two weeks.) Not good if I have a snake.

So what do you do when the power fails?
    keep those little heat packs around. i know some people use those. no matter what, don't open the tank, wrap it up with whatever you can. my power went out a few weeks ago for a few hours and i immediately wrapped my racks up with blankets to hold it as much heat as possible. also, if it is a heated room, try to keep the door closed.
    lots of snakes

Thanks

gas heater?

Thanks

I just lost power last week for a couple of hours. The temp inside my house got down to about 60 degrees and about 70 in the snake closet. I used a couple of heat packs under the tubs and that kept the temps above the packs at around 85. The snakes seem fine, but I'll probably get a generator just so I don't have to worry about it.

Banned
    Thanks

Wink Re: Power Outages

Only way to deal with a power outage is to invest in a small generator, these could also power your refridgerator or a couple of household appliances that would make life more comfortable while you wait for the power to come back on.

And the house cat would appreciate the added warmth.

Thanks

We want to get a generator soon; Buffalo was out of power for weeks this October, and we were just lucky to be in an area that didn't lose power.. Mark's cousin lost all of his expensive saltwater fish during the outage. We are actually in the generator market; if, say, our power went out today, Mark would be bringing a generator home that day.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.