Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,086

0 members and 3,086 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Carpet Python Noises

I have read in various threads recently about carpet pythons "whistling" and it being completely normal. I have also been told by Anthony Caponetto that Carpet Pythons do make some noises when being handled.

I understand all about respiratory infections and am well read up on them, I currently have 1 Jungle Carpet Python and 1 Bredl's Python in my collection and both of them make slight whistling noises, both have been on 6 weeks of anti biotics, both are at the correct temperatures and yet these noises still have not gone away.

The Vet suggested that possibly this noise is not being caused by a respiratory infection.

I just wanted to check with other carpet python owners, do your snakes make noises at all? If so what kind of noises?

That would help me alot

Thanks

Re: Carpet Python Noises

Sitka is my more skittish ball python. When I try to pick her up she almost always makes a little sighing/wheezing noise. It isn't respiratory infection (though she did have one months ago that fixed itself before I took her to the vet - $60 for nothing on her side of the bill). It just sounds like she is exhaling heavily. Once, she made a sound like a cat mewing. And I have two witnesses for that one. ^_^

Reshmar never makes noises...that I know of.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by X5927alpha
    Sitka is my more skittish ball python. When I try to pick her up she almost always makes a little sighing/wheezing noise. It isn't respiratory infection (though she did have one months ago that fixed itself before I took her to the vet - $60 for nothing on her side of the bill). It just sounds like she is exhaling heavily. Once, she made a sound like a cat mewing. And I have two witnesses for that one. ^_^

Reshmar never makes noises...that I know of.
    Thanks for that. I keep mostly Balls and they are all pretty much silent when being handled, except for occasional hissing when upset.

However I'm looking for carpet-specifics, do people find that their carpet pythons make noises at all not associated with aggression or defense?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

We have lots of carpets, and I would say the only ones that I have heard making noises like I think you are describing are usually heavier bodied ones. It seems like the ones with more girth do sometimes make a bit of noise when they inhale or exhale, especially when excited...like when being handled. But, as far as I can remember, I can't think of any juvies or babies ever doing this. I would say as long as you aren't seeing bubbles or extra mucus, then you probably don't have anything to worry about. Now you need to post pics of your kids!!!

Thanks

In my experience, you normally get more of the whistling type noises from IJ's than any other carpet. I have heard it from small ones as well as heavier ones, but mostly from IJ's.

I am curious about your carpets though. Do you know in fact that they had a respiratory infection before they were put on a course of antibiotics??? I would hate to see any animal put through that when in fact they were not even sick to begin with.

Thanks

Thanks for your response guys. I'm still not quite sure about these snakes, because neither are huge carpets, the bredl's is a small 06 and the Jungle is about 1.3kg.

MPenn, the snakes were taken to the Reptile Vet and failed to make the noise in the consulation room (typical!). The carpet python did make it once and he just about heared it. He said that normally, he would have just recommended that we left it and see if it sorted itself out, but because the snakes are part of a collection, he'd prescribed anti-biotic injections (to be administered every other day).

There was no bacterial culture taken or anything like this.

The problem with giving prolonged antibiotics to snakes is that apparently it causes damage to their kidneys or liver and can shorten their life considerably.

They have had 6 weeks and made no improvement and I'm at a loss for what to do, the Vets fees have already run up into the hundreds.

Here in the UK, I got charged £40 just for the consultation ($80!!).

I am now trying to establish if this possibly isnt the respiratory infection, because I have been reading in certain threads that this whistling noise is well known in carpet pythons.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokacola
    MPenn, the snakes were taken to the Reptile Vet and failed to make the noise in the consulation room (typical!). The carpet python did make it once and he just about heared it. He said that normally, he would have just recommended that we left it and see if it sorted itself out, but because the snakes are part of a collection, he'd prescribed anti-biotic injections (to be administered every other day).

There was no bacterial culture taken or anything like this.

The problem with giving prolonged antibiotics to snakes is that apparently it causes damage to their kidneys or liver and can shorten their life considerably.

They have had 6 weeks and made no improvement and I'm at a loss for what to do, the Vets fees have already run up into the hundreds.

Here in the UK, I got charged £40 just for the consultation ($80!!).

I am now trying to establish if this possibly isnt the respiratory infection, because I have been reading in certain threads that this whistling noise is well known in carpet pythons.
    You forgot to mention the possibility of a build up of drug resistance to the antibiotic.

Without a culture, I would not have been giving them antibiotics. But then again, I am not there to handle or see the snakes.

Did you buy them from a pet store or reputable breeder??? A breeder would have been able to tell you about the whistling bit and or know about any kind of respiratory problems.

Thanks

Yep there is that possibility of immunity, unless a different anti biotic is tried. The carpet python was purchased from a reputable reptile store a while ago and the bredl's from a classified ad. Neither made the noises initially

I forgot to mention, both snakes are feeding exceptionally well.

Thanks

I know my JCP whistles when he is being handled or when he is in shed. Other then that I've never heard him whistle but I know it's common for them to do so.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

yeah when i first got my carpet i thought she got a respitory infection but then i asked around and was told that it was normal for them since they breathe differently. my carpet mainly does that she's excited or when she's gonna be handled. my BP also does this every now and then when he inhales/exhales heavily like when handled.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast