Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,781

2 members and 2,779 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: A reliable online store

Okay. THANK YOU ALL. Much love I appreciate it very much. I actually only knew of one site and that was reptile basics. I checked out all of your offered sites and found that reptile supply seemed to be extremely cheap and had 90% of the stuff I needed. The only thing I still need to get is thermostats and dialers/day-night power supply.

Since I would really like to buy everything from one store can you tell me if the Reptile supply's thermostats are good or not?

http://www.reptilesupply.com/index.php?cPath=30_74

One more question regarding disinfection. What kind of disinfectants do you guys use? Is lysol good enough? I sprayed all of my desk and everything the snake went on. Als I used Purell hand sanitizer. Is that good enough? Or are there any other special stuff I need/can use? Do I also need to wipe everything with paper towels after spraying lysol? I just let it dry before the snake went on the desk.

Btw, today I finally got to handle my BP and it actually came out of its ball and explored my arms and my desk. It's freakin awesome haha. Can't wait to get all the stuff for his new home.

Thanks

Reptile Basics will have the best options for thermostats, IMO. Those Zoomed things are junk and could easily fry your snake. A Johnson Controls or a Ranco would be your best bet.

Also, pick up a gallon of chlorhexidine concentrate from www.valleyvet.com. Lysol isn't a very good disinfectant and the residual odors are something I wouldn't want any of my animals breathing in. Chlorhexidine is safe to use in the enclosure, on the animal itself, for anything you need to clean. Also much more economical(and environmentally safe...we have enough aerosol cans) than the Lysol is.

Remember, the more stuff you put in the enclosure, the more you'll have to clean. Anything porous, such as wood, will need to be soaked in bleach and disinfected regularly. Try newspaper for awhile, just so you can really see how much one little snake can pee(the flood of the century?)
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I use quatricide, at the moment. Chlorhexedrine is really popular. Rocal is used by some as well.
    Rinse really well with hot water after using the disinfectant.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

There's no need to rinse when using Quatricide, Chlorhexidine, Parv-O-Way, Parvosol, etc. Maybe when using bleach, but you could easily just let it air out because it evaporates.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Probably not, but as it says to rinse if it will be on a surface in contact with food, I feel better about doing so.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    There's no need to rinse when using Quatricide, Chlorhexidine, Parv-O-Way, Parvosol, etc. Maybe when using bleach, but you could easily just let it air out because it evaporates.

Are these available in stores such as KMart or Home Depot?

Thanks

Nope. I gave you the link for the chlorhexidine earlier. It's www.valleyvet.com

All of those products are usually used in the veterinary practice. The chlorhexidine is safe and can even be used on the animal for wounds or just general wiping off(if they decide to slither through feces/urine).
    --Becky--

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    I know chlorine evaporates from tap water, but doesn't bleach have other ingredients, as well as a high concentration of chlorine (even at 5%-10% compared to tap water) that should be completely rinsed away before putting a snake back?
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12