Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,793

6 members and 1,787 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,558
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Giant ball python

Quote Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
    Forgive me for redirecting to another site, but I think this might be the evidence you seek. Yeah?
    Interesting, but the article does not mention how often that snake was fed.

Thanks

I'm sorry everyone is bashing you when you were just trying tell some nice info.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davevh View Post
    The pictures were published along with an article in reptile magazine I do not remember which year.

Cannibalism among Ball Pythons is stress related not hunger related.

This has been discussed here many times http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ltiple+housing and no one has ever come up with the benefits of housing multiple Ball Pythons together
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patthesnakeman View Post
    I'm sorry everyone is bashing you when you were just trying tell some nice info.
    Hey man, not a problem. Thanks for the concern though
    I like to see people trying to help

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have no idea, but that doesn't really matter. One has to assume that they were fed "regularly" and appropriately. Either way the article isn't declaring them to be cannibals by nature just showing that the potential is there so people can decide if it is a risk they are willing to take. At least that's my read on it.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Ok, I am only going to comment on this ONE time. Don't be so quick to shoot down someone for keeping 2 balls together. Girls older then juvinile, of equal size can successfully be kept together. They have to be in a large enough enclosure, and have adequite hides. They must also be fed seperately.

That being said, it is more difficult to house them together because it can create issues that you might not have when keeping 1 per tank / tub. One or both of the snakes can stress and go off feed... It can be difficult to keep track of who is / is not pooping.... You should NOT keep males together ever.... and if younger male balls are kept together with younger females it can screw up sexual developement, and obviously cause premature pregnancies.

Where am I getting this info??? You would be surprised.

Ultimately it is up to the individual owner if they can be kept together. I don't think it is a good idea for a beginner to house them together, because they won't pick up on signs of stress as quickly... Also you have to ask yourself... why do you want to keep them together... and do the risks out weigh the benefits?

I recomend you try to find seperate living quaters if you can....

One more thing... even human beings in the right situation can become canabalistic!!!! Does that make as all "man eaters"
    Last edited by Mike Cavanaugh; 02-08-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

embrit345 (03-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

For YEARS I had a pet store that specialized in reptiles. The only time we kept ball pythons individually was when we were down to one. They ate. The pooped. They were happy, friendly, well adjusted snakes.

Over the years I've kept them in small groups and as individuals. I've never really seen a difference in the snakes kept either way.

If they're kept properly as far as environment and food availability, I don't think it makes a bit of difference if they're alone or with friends.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patthesnakeman View Post
    No one is bashing anyone. Just handing out info.

Thanks

"2. Snake are NOT social creatures. They do NOT enjoy each other's company. That cuddling up they're doing in your pic... nuh uh, that's them competing for the best hot spot in that hide. And they ARE competing. One is going to be dominant over the others, is going to get the best hiding spot, the best hot spot, the best cool area... have you noticed them following each other? That's why."

I have concern over this statement. Snakes are ectothermic and require external sources of heat to activate enzymes for elevated digestion and nutrient absorption. This statement indicates that snakes are seeking heat sources at the same time and from the same source implying that they each have exactly the same metabolic process at any given moment and thus need exactly the same amount of body heat at any given moment. I have tested this theory by varying feeding times in snakes, and many keepers have seen the effect when a snake bathes its body in heat for a day or two after feeding.

Snakes in a healthy terrarium should be found locating different spots at different times to regulate their temperature (hence the point of a temperature gradient). I have not noticed my balls following one another, they usually tend to occupy different parts of the graident at any given time.

A slightly larger snake would require a higher temperature to raise its body temperature than a smaller snake and would thus occupy a different area. This is consistent with observation.

I could see following and clumping occurring in a cage where there is a large and sharp temperature gradient (cold ambient temperature with a single hot spot IE under tank heater) but that is a poorly set up cage. Some of the most experienced Herpetologists I have spoken to NEVER use under tank heaters for reasons many have gone into before (and these people keep snakes far more exotic than any intermediate to advanced keeper has dealt with)

Please realize that I do believe that people should, if possible, keep snakes in separate cages. As you mentioned snakes do not have the evolutionary capacity for emotion or socialization. However, I am adept at noticing stress and signs of ill health or problems and I do not believe this will be an issue for me (has worked so far in my 18 years of experience with reptiles).

Thanks

[B]"

Please realize that I do believe that people should, if possible, keep snakes in separate cages. As you mentioned snakes do not have the evolutionary capacity for emotion or socialization. However, I am adept at noticing stress and signs of ill health or problems and I do not believe this will be an issue for me (has worked so far in my 18 years of experience with reptiles).
    I think this statement is contradicting itself. If people should house their snakes separately, then so should you, correct? Why should everyone else house them separately and not you? Why settle for keeping them together---which is only satisfactory---when it's better for them, being unsocial and competitive, to have their own enclosures?

These are honest questions... I copped a 'tude earlier and I apologize. Bad day at work and I was taking my irritations out on here.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast