Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,975

2 members and 1,973 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,558
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: Giant ball python

That's pretty cool.

I have some babies with bigger heads than some, and thier boy's are more or less around the same size.

I remember seeing on King Snake a while ago, there was a HUUUUGE female WC on there. I think it was $1000?

Any one remember that one?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

That was a 5600 gram sub-Sahara that S&S reptiles/ suzette had, that I believe came from our supplier.

They get a lot bigger, we will post pics when the eggs hatch.
    Thanks, Outback Reptiles
    josh@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262 Office
    703-789-1697 Cell

Banned
    Thanks

That's 12 pounds of hotness! LOL

And I think my 2500g female is huge

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Well the babies hatched 4 days ago. They are in the 65 gram range for 6 of them and the last one/ high orange had a huge yolk on him that he hatched with so he is only34 grams, but odd looking.

I asked around about size on the babies and was told sometimes they are 180 grams out of the eggs, some times 60 grams it depends on the clutch.

We will keep growth rates on these guys and see how they grow compared to reg. normal balls. We had 2 other clutched hatch with in a few days of them to so we will use them to compare the growth. The female that laid they eggs was very skinny , to skinny to even look gravid, so that could play a role in the smaller size of the babies.

Time will tell.

The pics are really bad, but didnt want to bug them to much, since they just hatched.

http://www.jnjreptiles.com/pictures/sahara_b.jpg

http://www.jnjreptiles.com/pictures/orange_sahara.jpg
    Thanks, Outback Reptiles
    josh@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262 Office
    703-789-1697 Cell

Thanks

Heh heh. Sawubona

From the first page of his topic there is mention of the Transvaal Snake Park. When I was a nipper my mum used to drop me there on a Sunday morning and then pick me up 6 hours later. Shame that now they've turned it into a huge nightclub!

I got my first BP just 3 days ago, and so far he's great, well, from what I've seen of him at least.... I hope he does not get to 6 feet. I'm looking at maybe 4 feet or so and I'll be happy

Thanks

Very interesting....So do you think that maybe since the wild balls can eat whenever they want & get that big, that maybe we are not feeding our captive balls enough? My ball (Mila) is rather large; I am 5'10" and she is almost that long, I have had her almost 8 years & do not know her exact age (she was an adult when I rescued her) Before she laid eggs last year by suprise (parthenogenesis) she was a more weighty & healthy looking because I fed her bigger rats, then when she laid her eggs I started researching & found this site & started following "the rules" that most people here live by fiercely & she never gained the weight back that she lost while incubating her own eggs. She looked a hell of a lot healthier before I started to feed her 1 SMALL rat a week...I used to feed her med-large rats no problem, so I am now feeding her 2 medium rats a week and she seems more content & hopefully will get back to looking like her old self. I need to get a scale of some sort so I can weigh her. But she is a big girl.

I really love this site & find useful info, but some people are a little too overbearing when it comes to "the rules" of care and there some questions that I just won't ask here because of that. Just like everything else every snake is different and prefer different temps (like mine), feed, hides ect.
    But that won't stop me from coming here because there are people here who do realize that and will have your back when an attack is imminent, as seen in this thread.

HAPPY HERPING!!

~Shari

0.1 Normal BP ~Mila
    1.0 Rottie ~Rebel
    1.0 Chow ~Teddy
    1.3 Cats ~Mr.Pud-Boo-Crystal-Precious

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharilynn View Post
    Very interesting....So do you think that maybe since the wild balls can eat whenever they want & get that big, that maybe we are not feeding our captive balls enough? My ball (Mila) is rather large; I am 5'10" and she is almost that long, I have had her almost 8 years & do not know her exact age (she was an adult when I rescued her) Before she laid eggs last year by suprise (parthenogenesis) she was a more weighty & healthy looking because I fed her bigger rats, then when she laid her eggs I started researching & found this site & started following "the rules" that most people here live by fiercely & she never gained the weight back that she lost while incubating her own eggs. She looked a hell of a lot healthier before I started to feed her 1 SMALL rat a week...I used to feed her med-large rats no problem, so I am now feeding her 2 medium rats a week and she seems more content & hopefully will get back to looking like her old self. I need to get a scale of some sort so I can weigh her. But she is a big girl.

I really love this site & find useful info, but some people are a little too overbearing when it comes to "the rules" of care and there some questions that I just won't ask here because of that. Just like everything else every snake is different and prefer different temps (like mine), feed, hides ect.
    But that won't stop me from coming here because there are people here who do realize that and will have your back when an attack is imminent, as seen in this thread.

HAPPY HERPING!!
    I believe that the reality of things is different than your line of reasoning above.

In the wild, ball pythons are known to breed at much smaller sizes than what many of us do in captivity. They eat less and more infrequently, and grow much more slowly.

What in your eyes may seem as "healthy" looking may in fact have been somewhat overweight. I can't really say any more not seeing the animal, but based on your feeding regiment, it could be a possibility. Ball pythons generally should not look like blood pythons, and I am a believer that snakes that are overfed in captivity are many times less healthy than those that are fed somewhat more conservatively.

You may also have taken some advice out of context...1 small rat a week with no deviation is not gospel here...when I have a gravid girl lay eggs, I feed her one small meal as soon as she wants it (sometimes the day after laying) and then offer 2 and a few times three weaned sized rats per week to the moms until they start to look more full bodied again. Once they are back up to weight, they go back on a more normal feeding regiment.

And as far as this site goes, I do agree that there are a lot of information regurgitators that have probably spent more time online than with their animals, but for the most part everything that this site goes by does work for a lot of people and when new ideas come up that do work, they are readily accepted. You'd be surprised just how different things were even just 2-3 years ago.
    -Brad

Thanks

I think that it's important to gather as much information as possible, and then figure out how to use that knowledge in a way that works best for your snakes and you. I think that there are some people who read one thread, or even one post, and take that information and run with it.

Also, it is important to remember that a lot of posts are what works for that individual, and it may not work out for you. I've found that a lot of reading, and some trial and error have been my best tools.
    ==========
    Carpe Diem
    ==========

Thanks

Is it dead...?
    0.1.0 Ball Python-Raja
    1.0.0 Leopard Gecko-Omar
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko-Ricardo
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko-Carlos
    Nick

Thanks