Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,458

3 members and 3,455 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Septicemia

Thanks

Septicemia

been to vet this morning again about my bp.he says it's now got septicemia.it's got red blotches which are mainly on the scales.monty hasn't fed for 2 months and has been opening it's mouth/wheezing/sneezing.in the last couple of days tho i've noticed the wheezing etc seems to have gone and his tongue seems to be flickering eratically.is this a good thing? i'm treating him with baytril orally daily and bathing him for 20 mins in warm water.now i've told that the baytril should be injected rather than given orally.i asked my vet about this,but he says he doesn't inject it because it causes reactions.can you please give me as much advice as possible about this? is it possible it could be Septicemia and a respitory infection and will baytril get rid of these? i have got 2 pictures of the blotches,but how do i put them on this website

Thanks

Re: Septicemia

Baytril (enroflaxicin) is a broad spectrum anti-biotic. It is a great anti-biotic and there are members here and other boards that recommend intramuscular injections over oral doses, saying that they personally have had more success using the injections over oral doses. The reactions your vet may have been referring to could be burns from the Baytril on the skin, or if your snake has had some other medication that he administered.

In this case, always follow what your Vet says, if you have any doubts about his prescriptions, get a second opinion with another good vet that specializes in snakes/herps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

Oxylepy (11-02-2008)

Thanks

Here is how to post a picture:
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=28289
    I don't know anything about septicemia. Good luck.

Thanks

could someone please look at these and tell if this is septicaemia?

Last edited by dr del; 02-14-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: trying to fix pictures for you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ianpudlich For This Useful Post:

Oxylepy (11-02-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianpudlich View Post
    could someone please look at these and tell if this is septicaemia?

yeah that is definitely Septicemia, you need to get him to a vet straight away. iv just found out my bp has it, thats how i know. it looks exactly the same. the pic looks like its in early stages but it spreads fast nd can kill them if it get to the organs so id get him seen in the next week if you can. mines just been put on a 4 weeks course of injectible antibiotics (cant remember off the top of my head what theyre called, fulcrum or something like that) and the vet said 90 percent of the time theyl make a ful recovery. good luck! just make sure shes drinking and bathe her every other day in warm water to let her drink

Thanks

just to add, my vet said baytril is not ideal for treating Septicemia, cant remember the name of the antibiotic am using but ill get back to you asap. as for treating orally, that will probably stress the snake out a lot. injections are the best way, suggest to your vet that if baytrill causes reactions when injected then could he use something that doesnt? ill get back to you with the name of the one im using. in the meantime id go and get a second opinion, its took me three vets to get my bp properly diagnosed and treated. find someone whos qualified in treating herps, thats my advice.

Thanks

just found out the name of the antibiotic that im using for my snakes Septicemia.its called fortum shes needs injections of it twice a week for four weeks. im getting my local pet shop to inject her for me because theyre really experienced in it and im scared of needles.think the dosage is 0,5 ml. hope this help anyway. good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by open_eyes View Post
    just to add, my vet said baytril is not ideal for treating Septicemia, cant remember the name of the antibiotic am using but ill get back to you asap. as for treating orally, that will probably stress the snake out a lot. injections are the best way, suggest to your vet that if baytrill causes reactions when injected then could he use something that doesnt? ill get back to you with the name of the one im using. in the meantime id go and get a second opinion, its took me three vets to get my bp properly diagnosed and treated. find someone whos qualified in treating herps, thats my advice.
    Bayer specifically recommends subcutaneous injections for ball pythons being treated for Baytril.

Ceftazimide can be given subcutaneously every three days or so for a total of 10 doses.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What exactly is this caused by?

Thanks

What an old thread.

Open eyes, while I understand you have a fear of needles, taking a snake to a pet store where there are animals coming and going all the time with no quarantine is not likely the best circumstances to take him to for an injection. You literally have no idea what is running around in the pet store, what sort of viruses, bacteria and fungi are being passed back and forth because of the nature of pet stores.

You can't control what is passed on to your snake or yourself while in a pet store, and it really breaks all quarantine procedures to take him there repeatedly.

If you have trouble giving the injections yourself, better off asking the vet that subscribed the anti-biotics to you to do it for you to avoid your snake catching worse things at the pet store.

Baytril is an excellent medication, but as always, a Vet goes to school for 8+ years to learn why and when any medication should be given and for how long. Never use the internet to diagnose or treat for anything beyond simple first aid.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

Purrrfect9 (11-02-2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast