Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,920

1 members and 2,919 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,555
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thinking about getting a Ball Python

I have been thinking for a while about getting a snake, well I have chosen the Ball Pythonere is the question. I have a old used 10 gallon tank that I was going to us for the Ball Python. Is that big enoguht for a baby. I have a cold house So I was going to move him/her in to the pantry (exter room) I can close off the AC vent to make it warmer. Or should I keep the BP in the family room (high tracfic)? I plain on getting the Heat mat and thermstate. Would getting a BP from a Reptile show be ok I have one coming to my town on the 11th.

Thanks
    A 10 gallon tank is fine for a baby bp. You'll want to make sure you have hides on both ends of the tank and that you're able to keep humidity up to proper levels. That's the biggest usual complaint with glass tanks and screen lids is that it's nearly impossible to hold in humidity. Do some searching in the husbandry section. Make sure to read the caresheet from this site so you know how to create the ideal environment for your bp.

And YES, it's always better to buy at a reptile show IMO. There will be multiple breeders to choose from, a MUCH larger selection of animals than you will find at any big box pet store, and the animals are most likely going to be cheaper and in MUCH better health at the show than at a pet store. You will have a chance to talk to the breeder that produced the animal and ask questions like what it's eating, when was the last time it fed, what are the genetics of the snake, etc...
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Well, you have come to the right place for information, this forum is great. 10 gallon is fine for a baby for awhile. You might want to look into a steralite tub set up, tubs are great and hold humidity well. Make sure you get him two hides. I would not put him in a high traffic area, they can get stressed out very easy. Do some research, and check out the care sheet on here first. Thermostats are very important, please invest in a good one. Shows are a great place to get a good price on a bp. When you bring him home, no handleing until he has taken several meals consecutively. Then start with short sessions, building up. Make sure you post pics when you get one.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks

Re: Thinking about getting a Ball Python

I have taken care of larger one but never a baby. I had to rehome becouse I could not find a breeder of live rats, I have a friend that is just down the raod that breed larger snake and long with rat and mice and ASF. She also sells F/T. So I am good with that.

Thanks
    Tub setups are generally better in warmer rooms, not so much for cooler spaces, but they do hold humidity better. There are tips and tricks that you can apply to a screen lid on a 10 gallon that will help lock in the humidity. One trick is to cover 2/3 of the screen lid with aluminum foil and saran wrap. Another suggestion is to lay a damp towel over 2/3 of the screen top, wetting the towel as needed and washing it regularly to avoid bacteria buildup. Again, if you do some reading in the Husbandry forum, you'll find a lot of useful posts, including walkthroughs on setting up a proper glass enclosure.
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

Thanks
    I am not to much worried about humidity I live in souther Louisiana. most days here are around 100 persent. So a little misting would work. Even in my house.

Thanks

A 10g is great for a baby just make sure to set it up properly I would also recomend covering 3 sides with a background. You plan on an Under Tank Heater and T-stat I I also use a 60w CHE on a dimmer for my ambient temps in my 10G tanks and well all set up looks a litle like this

Robie

2.0 Normal Ball Pythons Peek a Boo & Dezmond
    1.0 Black Pewter Ball Python Pepe Le Pewter
    0.1 Piebald Ball Python Slinky
    0.1 Siberian Husky Danadog
    2.5 Fancy Rat's Patch, Robin Hood, Lucky, Lucy, Bolt, Cinnamon, Patcheta
    1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

Thanks
    SEX pie what are the hides? in there

Thanks

Ok I have been looking on here and weighing the odds I am going to go with http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...he-Basics-*DUW* looks better for me to clean

Thanks
    Ok I have other question what would be better heat tape or heat mat? what is the differcnet in them Pros and Cons please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast