Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,944

2 members and 2,942 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,555
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Septicemia

Thanks

Re: Septicemia

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    What an old thread.

Open eyes, while I understand you have a fear of needles, taking a snake to a pet store where there are animals coming and going all the time with no quarantine is not likely the best circumstances to take him to for an injection. You literally have no idea what is running around in the pet store, what sort of viruses, bacteria and fungi are being passed back and forth because of the nature of pet stores.

You can't control what is passed on to your snake or yourself while in a pet store, and it really breaks all quarantine procedures to take him there repeatedly.

If you have trouble giving the injections yourself, better off asking the vet that subscribed the anti-biotics to you to do it for you to avoid your snake catching worse things at the pet store.

Baytril is an excellent medication, but as always, a Vet goes to school for 8+ years to learn why and when any medication should be given and for how long. Never use the internet to diagnose or treat for anything beyond simple first aid.
    As a vet tech student and future vet student, well said
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

Thanks

What an old thread.

Open eyes, while I understand you have a fear of needles, taking a snake to a pet store where there are animals coming and going all the time with no quarantine is not likely the best circumstances to take him to for an injection. You literally have no idea what is running around in the pet store, what sort of viruses, bacteria and fungi are being passed back and forth because of the nature of pet stores.

You can't control what is passed on to your snake or yourself while in a pet store, and it really breaks all quarantine procedures to take him there repeatedly.

If you have trouble giving the injections yourself, better off asking the vet that subscribed the anti-biotics to you to do it for you to avoid your snake catching worse things at the pet store.

Baytril is an excellent medication, but as always, a Vet goes to school for 8+ years to learn why and when any medication should be given and for how long. Never use the internet to diagnose or treat for anything beyond simple first aid.
    Firstly the reason i disclosed the antibiotics my snake was being given was not to in anyway say that they were the right ones in this case.im not a vet myself so i couldnt say that, but i know myself how hard it is to find a vet that is properly qualified to deal with reptiles. it took me a while to find a good one myself and id had a lot of different opinions from other vets that, if i had followed there instruction, my snake could have died. the reason i disclosed this was to give an idea of what kind of treatment septicemia needs and what my vet told me. my snake was misdiagnosed twice before i got her on the right antibiotics so i was just offering advice.
    Secondly im aware tht snakes need to be quarantined when theyre ill and i know taking her for injections at my pet shop arent ideal but unfortunately its the only way it can be done. my herp vet lives in the next town and i dont drive so it would mean me taking public transport with her which would stress her our far more than a five minute walk. pet shops arent really the best place for a sick snake but they are far more experienced in giving injections than i am, and theyve had my vets approval, so id rather get the injections there than not at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    What exactly is this caused by?
    Septicemia it is when the blood becomes toxic due to bacteria or other toxins. It is the clinical term for blood poisoning.

Thanks

Can you treat septicemia with ceftazidime?

I read somewhere that septicemia can be treated with both injections of ceftazidime (fortaz) and batryil. Has anyone had success with just ceftazidime.

http://chrisandash.wordpress.com/201...-can-help-you/

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Can you treat septicemia with ceftazidime?

Quote Originally Posted by snakeg View Post
    I read somewhere that septicemia can be treated with both injections of ceftazidime (fortaz) and batryil. Has anyone had success with just ceftazidime.

http://chrisandash.wordpress.com/201...-can-help-you/
    Congratulations you brought a 4 years old thread back.

You might want to start your own thread next time to allow you to get answers to YOUR own question!
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-28-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

meowmeowkazoo (07-28-2012),PitOnTheProwl (12-29-2012)

Thanks
    A fear year old thread, brought back. Congrats!
    Reptiles
    0.0.1 - Rhacodactylus Ciliatus, Cheerio

Mammals
    1.1 - Canis Lupus Familiaris, Little Man & Molly

Thanks

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Baytril (enroflaxicin) is a broad spectrum anti-biotic. It is a great anti-biotic and there are members here and other boards that recommend intramuscular injections over oral doses, saying that they personally have had more success using the injections over oral doses. The reactions your vet may have been referring to could be burns from the Baytril on the skin, or if your snake has had some other medication that he administered.

In this case, always follow what your Vet says, if you have any doubts about his prescriptions, get a second opinion with another good vet that specializes in snakes/herps.
    Baytril might not be as good as ceftazidime. But you can give both at the same time if it is a hard to kill bacteria. A lot of stuff now has resistance to baytril which is also found in eye drops for pink eye in humans. You should have to see a vet for the right dosages.
    Last edited by snakeg; 07-28-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12