Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,011

2 members and 3,009 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,551
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics

View Poll Results: when I breed a male mouse to multiple females

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I leave the male in with the females all the time

37 84.09%
  • I remove the male before the 18th day of them being together, then reintroduce when they are ready to breed again.

7 15.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

breeding mice procedure poll

If you are bredding a male mouse with multiple females at once, do you remove him by the 18th day or do you leave him in there all of the time?

If you do remove him, do you have trouble re-introducing him once the moms are ready for another round?
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: breeding mice procedure poll

I keep my male in there with the females always, and when i see one that is close to haveing its litter, i remove it, not the male.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've found it difficult to introduce or re-introduce any adult into an established group. Not always, but sometimes the others in the group will kill any newcomers.

Mark

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

You need to find what works for you that requires experimenting!

I have try harem, leaving the male in at all time and it was catastrophic, 100% loss

I house 2 females per tubs and have a male rotate through 3 tubs spending 2 weeks at the time in each tub and never had any problems.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I just started breeding my 1.6 mice last month, but I've had 4 litters in the last 10 days with a 5th girl about to pop. I have 2 large kritter keepers each with 0.3 females, and I have 1 male that gets moved back and forth every week. When a female is pregnant I move her into a medium K.K. until the babies are weaned. I move them into new clean K.K.s at the same time so noone is being thrown into an established colony.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

I just leave all of them together and when I see a female ready to pop, I put her in a seperate tank. I let her raise the babies, wean them, then give her a little break before re-introducing her to the group again. I am doing the same with my rats. I heard you can leave ASFs together and they usually dont eat babies so I will find out if this is true or not. One of my ASFs just had ~15 from what I can count and she is with another pregnant female right now. The male had to be removed 2 weeks ago though because the females ripped half of his face off. He is recovering nicely
    Check out www.killerpets.com and let me know what you think! Always looking for ways to improve the site

Registered User Windridge Kennels's Avatar
    Thanks

I leave my male mouse in with my females at all times. So far, I have not had any problems with this method.
    Jenna in Florida

Eight Ball Pythons Kamala (100% het pied), Lou (het albino) and the normals: Boxcar, Jake, Gorgeous George, Heenan, Beulah & Ivory

The Labrador Retriever Crew + two Whippets & a Golden Retriever

Thanks

Neither... we usually have two tubs of adolescent mice, sorted by sex, then any number of general population tubs, where large numbers of males and females are mixed, and then, every other week or so, we pull the visibly pregnant females from those tubs, and put them together into maternity tubs, where 15-20 females will all drop their litters within a week or so of each-other, and cross nurse until they're weaned and separated into the M/F adolescent tubs.

We tend to feed off the general population tubs, males first, since they're usually the most crowded. We run through around 50 mice a week with this system.

The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever. -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupter View Post
    I just leave all of them together and when I see a female ready to pop, I put her in a seperate tank. I let her raise the babies, wean them, then give her a little break before re-introducing her to the group again.the females ripped half of his face off. He is recovering nicely
    This is what I do...the "group" gets moved around since I have a hodge podge of cages (generally one grow out boy cage, one grow out girl cage, one littler dropping cage and the KK where the boy is), but generally my boy stays in a KK with one of more girls, depending on who's preggers and raising a litter...
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    I keep my male in there with the females always, and when i see one that is close to haveing its litter, i remove it, not the male.

wow, I am surprised to see what I used to do only three months ago! Now I just keep my tubs of 1.5-9 together and the male does not bother the babys, im a little over run right now too! Now that ive done a few things I can say through experiance do what works for you. If you like the idea of keeping them all together, and your first little gets eaten, try it again. The best thing to do is not give up!
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast