Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
Is there something special about Florida burmese owners that compels them to release their snakes into the environment and yet burmese python owners in the other 47 continental US states are able to restrain themselves?

Florida is the only state with a feral population of burmese ... according to your statements, there should be other states with the same problem but there are none.

Personally, I don't see any definitive evidence one way or the other (hopefully I'm entitled to my own opinions), but I do find it hard to believe that Florida is the only state where burmese python owners let their animals go into the environment. I can't help but wonder why other states that supposedly can support wild populations of burms don't already have a problem?

-adam
"Supposedly" is the key word. I think that the battle cry of the reptile nation has been that there is little chance of most other states being able to support a wild population.

The Everglades (and Florida) in general has been able to support a wide variety of non-native species due to it's tropical climate. Peacock bass, festae and other tropical fish are established as are varanids and iguanids.

Except for a few other southern states, where else would these animals have a chance of thriving? According to the Reptile Nation - nowhere - and I agree.

It's a multi-faceted issue that deals with supposed threats to the environment and personal safety. After going to few reptile shows and seeing what is being sold to whom, I am firmly of the belief that the sale and ownership of venomous snakes and large/potentially dangerous reptiles should be restricted.

As tot he threat to the environment, regardless of how Florida became populated non-native reptiles, it still illustrates how they can gain a toe-hold a thrive. USARK is having to deal with a deck of cards with no aces - you can't explain away what's happened - non-reptile people don't want to hear it.

So they have to minimize the damage and save ball python and other boid owners by sacrificing some of the rights of the burm and afrock keepers. I get it, I just wonder how long it will be before they aren't the voice of the Reptile Nation anymore.