Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,799

2 members and 2,797 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What have i gotten myself into

Don't get mad at anyone. I did the same thing you did when I needed help with my ball python and people were just focusing on negatives. Even though I have never owned large snakes, I can tell you that just by analyzing the snake's body gestures and behaviors will help you from getting bit or constricted. Always have another person with you, preferably a man that also is knowledgeable with snakes that will help you get the snake out of its cage, put it back in, and watch your back. Anything over 8 ft. with massive girth, you should always have someone with you, maybe even two people. Common sense will prevent anything bad from happening. When your drunk, DON'T attempt to take out your snake, when you want to impress someone and show them your huge burmese, DON'T do it unless someone else is with you is knowledgeable with burms, and lastly, DON'T TRY AND TAKE IT OUT YOURSELF!
    Guitars, Reptiles, & Fishing!
    1.3.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0.0 Nu Ana x Moro Leachianus Gecko
    1.0.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
    & Lots of terrified-snake relatives!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by echs332000 View Post
    But what i try to do is educated them without being condesending or combative
    How's that workin out for ya? Makin lots of new friends, are ya?

What you see as condensation my be something else entirely.

Provided, of course, that your outlook on life allows for the possibility of a mistake on your part.

So far, I don't see much of that. The allowing part that is, plenty of the other if you look.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    How's that workin out for ya? Makin lots of new friends, are ya?

What you see as condensation my be something else entirely.

Provided, of course, that your outlook on life allows for the possibility of a mistake on your part.

So far, I don't see much of that. The allowing part that is, plenty of the other if you look.
    Never said i didnt make a mistake by getting this animal. Im trying to see if i can fix the mistake first.

But im not here to argue, most of you have 10 times more experience with large snakes so i think at this point its time for me to shut my mouth and listen. But i will not give up as of yet. I asked for some tips and what i have gotten has been helpful so far
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 RTB
    1.0 Burmese

Thanks

Did you not handle the snake at the friends house to see how the temper was?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by echs332000 View Post
    Never said i didnt make a mistake by getting this animal. Im trying to see if i can fix the mistake first.

But im not here to argue, most of you have 10 times more experience with large snakes so i think at this point its time for me to shut my mouth and listen. But i will not give up as of yet. I asked for some tips and what i have gotten has been helpful so far

I'm not saying the way everyone here is treating you is ok, however you have to look at it from their standpoint.
    Our hobby is in serious jeapordy already and the last thing we need is for another person who is not able to provide the proper home and care for a large snake to get themselves or someone else hurt.
    Please be aware that by being completely unprepared for this snake, you have put yourself, the snake and our hobby in a potentially deadly situation.
    If you do not have the knowladge, experience, equipment and means to care for this snake(you must have ALL of these things), you have no choice but to get rid of it. By keeping this snake you are only putting yourself and those around you in a very bad situation.

Please take a look at how serious this situation is, it is not to be taken lightly. The last thing any of us want is for you or someone else to end up dead, nobody wins if that happens. After reading all your posts, in my opinion, your only real option is to get rid of the snake. Getting the snake into the hands of someone who is more prepared to care for it is whats best for both you and the animal.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

OP - You came asking for help/advice and the answer has been the same from everyone. Get rid of the snake you're not ready for it. Some may not express it quite as nicely as others but it's the same thing being repeated over and over again in reply after reply.

You seem to want "tips and tricks" on how to handle this snake and then for everyone to say "go for it, you're ready!" but no one is going to do that. You're not ready for it and the evidence for that is the fact that you had to come on ball-pythons.net asking what you've gotten yourself into. Your situation goes far beyond what someone can help you with online. You simply do not have enough experience to keep this snake without some serious on-site training/help.

You keep saying if you find it is too much for you then you'll get rid of it. The problem is that you most likely won't realize (or rather admit) it is too much for you until it's got a coil or two around your neck and you're blacking out.

Seriously go back to the person you got this snake from, give it back without asking for the 6 footer because in a few months it will be 8 foot. Just give this person back the snake and then punch them in the mouth. When they asked why you did that tell them because they are irresponsible and should have realized you had no business having that snake.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bsd13 For This Useful Post:

Didgie (10-15-2009),Hulihzack (08-05-2009),Mortier (08-10-2009),shaunwithbite (10-15-2009)

Thanks

The title of the post says it all... If you have to ask, you're not ready. Thats that. Wilomn may not be the most cuddly person on the forum but he's usually right. I had my own little run in with him when I joined this forum a while ago too, but you have to look at it from our perspective. People like you buying 8 foot snakes are the reason there are bills like HR2811 and S737(#???), and that affects EVERYONE. It's time to suck it up and do whats best for the community not yourself. Sorry to put it so bluntly.
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I can see both sides here. I too wanted to get a huge snake when I first started owning snakes. The OP is looking for advice here not bad-mouthing. And, saddly for the OP, the best advice we can give for owning a giant snake is to first have at least a few years experience under your belt.

Thanks

this sounds to me like you want a burm but cant deal with the size or the agressiveness of one. i would suggest taking it back and either go with a real dwarf burm or stick to admiring them at the zoo or local shows. also big snakes and tanks dont exactly mix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Of course it is a well known fact that snakes only bite on the hands. Therefore your wearing gloves will completely protect you from any bite by a snake you know basically nothing about.

Sounds good.

I have no doubt we'll be seeing news reports in no time, doubtless with headlines something akin to: New Snake Owner Strangled by Pet Python quickly followed by, No one can understand how it happened, he was wearing gloves.....
    is this supposed to be funny?? or just jerkish??

what would you do? rob a knight and wear his armor??

i jsut dont get why people automatically make sarcastic remarks at people looking for help. sorry ahead of time if that was just a joke between friends but it seems willom has built himself/herself a reputation, with me at least, for being sarcastic and meritless.

anyways back to the op. id say your on the right track, take your time.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast