Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,372

3 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: baby ball python, please help.

ok this is how he's set up now then:

i WILL get rid of the cardboard, its just handy for the time being. lol
    he has a small water bowl in there, behind the second cardboard hide. theres a larger one i was using (ontop) but its too big to fit now.

the partition isnt fastened in place. if he wants to get around it then he'll be able to whether its fastened or not, so i see no point. but i think it does serve to make his enclosure feel more small, and i cant see why he'd want to get to the other side. theres no place to hide there.

you can see him sitting on the tall box with his neck around a soup ladle which ive fastened to the back of the box. he can actually fit inside and peek out of the ladle too lol.

ill get a better thermometer and hygrometer too (and a better position for it). this one is just one that i had laying around, and is temporary.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

You will want to get something to cover up that bulb. A wire/mesh cover would be fine. Ill see if I can find a picture to show you as an example. The risk of not having it covered is that if the snake gets up to it, it will get burned pretty bad given the high temp of the light bulb.
    Ryan
    1.0 Red Tail Boa- Sylvester
    0.0.1 Albino Banana Cal King- Tweetie

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It wasnt letting me edit my previous post so ill just make a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

You need to put a gaurd on the bulb to prevent possible accidents.

I made some out of mesh with a pair of pliers but you can buy professionaly made ones too.

Oh and what kind of tape are you using? I would only use low tack painters tape style to avoid accidents with that too.

dr del
    Post was taken from this thread: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=92957

Use something like that to cover the bulb.

I noticed also after my original post that the bulb is on the opposite side of the cage as your snake, but keep this in mind as you open up the cage more
    Ryan
    1.0 Red Tail Boa- Sylvester
    0.0.1 Albino Banana Cal King- Tweetie

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: baby ball python, please help.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Ok, I drew this a while back, and if you learn better with pictures this is useful. I can explain things better in picture form too.
    This is a desired Ball Python enclosure for a tank.
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...g?t=1244314426

Awesome diagram!

Kudos!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrshawt View Post
    As hard as the urge to handle him is, you need to resist until he's fuly settled in. Another new member recently was talking about how his bp wouldn't stop striking at him even in the tank. He wouldn't stop trying to handle it in the first fews days and it really stressed it out.
    I think i know who you are speaking of...And I think he gave up....I hope not...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seercirra View Post
    ok this is how he's set up now then:

i WILL get rid of the cardboard, its just handy for the time being. lol
    he has a small water bowl in there, behind the second cardboard hide. theres a larger one i was using (ontop) but its too big to fit now.

the partition isnt fastened in place. if he wants to get around it then he'll be able to whether its fastened or not, so i see no point. but i think it does serve to make his enclosure feel more small, and i cant see why he'd want to get to the other side. theres no place to hide there.

you can see him sitting on the tall box with his neck around a soup ladle which ive fastened to the back of the box. he can actually fit inside and peek out of the ladle too lol.

ill get a better thermometer and hygrometer too (and a better position for it). this one is just one that i had laying around, and is temporary.
    If your looking for some good hides you can try these. They work wonderfully for me and don't look too bad.
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/Hide-Boxes-p-1-c-282.html
    You may be able to get away with having the whole enclosure out. If he stops eating, then you can try to make the cage smaller. Definitely get a cage for that lamp though. That is a burn waiting to happen.
    If you also fill the cage up with fake plants making it extremely crowded makes a happy ball python.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_Ryno View Post
    It wasnt letting me edit my previous post so ill just make a new one.

Post was taken from this thread: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=92957

Use something like that to cover the bulb.

I noticed also after my original post that the bulb is on the opposite side of the cage as your snake, but keep this in mind as you open up the cage more
    hey man, thanks. yeh i know i gotta set one of those up soon. if it helps though, although its hard to tell in the pic, the light is basically in the center, no near any side of the cage so itd be very hard for him to get up there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    If your looking for some good hides you can try these. They work wonderfully for me and don't look too bad.
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/Hide-Boxes-p-1-c-282.html
    You may be able to get away with having the whole enclosure out. If he stops eating, then you can try to make the cage smaller. Definitely get a cage for that lamp though. That is a burn waiting to happen.
    If you also fill the cage up with fake plants making it extremely crowded makes a happy ball python.
    hey, thanks but theyre in the US and im in the UK

my local store has plenty though.
    when i got the snake i just wanted to get it home and sorted, ill pop down there next week and see what they got
    these hides do look :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: but he does like um, but yeh i wanna get some fake plants and design it all nicely too.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seercirra View Post
    hey man, thanks. yeh i know i gotta set one of those up soon. if it helps though, although its hard to tell in the pic, the light is basically in the center, no near any side of the cage so itd be very hard for him to get up there.
    Oh, trust me, he would find a way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Here's another link you can use for ideas. Read all the way through the thread because there are alot of "bumps"...

http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Bal...s/1971927.html

Also, since you are using a glass enclosure, the ambient daylight and night time are sufficient for a light cycle. It only becomes more important if you are housing them in tubs or getting them ready for breeding...

Hope this helps...

Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast