Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,131

1 members and 2,130 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    This morning I woke up to a horrific sight. Arnie was stuck to the duct tape that had fallen down from the inside of the top. I now know vegtable oil would have removed the tape easier and prevented his skin from peeling away.
    He seems fine thank God as I thought he was dead when I found the poor little guy. He has a section about a half inch long where his skin peeled off. I soaked him in some water and made sure there was no repti-bark in his wound. I was told of a sulfate cream that is used for burn victims to aid skin re generation and prevent infection I hope to get some today.
    I have removed the repti-bark from his tank and am using newspaper for now.
    I imagine injuries like this can happen in the wild from predators, however I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do for him. I hope he doesn't scar. When you look at the wound it looks like someone took a razor blade and sliced him open cleanly. I can see the muscle underneith.

I am so pissed at myself for not removing the tape from the inside after reading a post about someone's corn snake getting stuck to duct tape.
    Going forward I am keeping duct tape on the outside of the screen top only, none on the inside.

Suggestions please on how to help him heal.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Accident with duct tape

Can you post a pic of the wound? That might help people better understand how to help you
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake *Princess Elysia*
    0.1 Miami Phase Cornsnake *Leila*
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

Thanks

Outside?

If the muscle is exposed, I'd think a trip to the vet might be in order. Failing that, a gauze wrapping to keep medicine applied to it in place, but I'd be hesitant to apply either the sulfate cream or the commonly used Neosporin directly to muscle tissue without consulting with a vet first.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    I am at work and he is resting at home. I did call my vet who said this creme called sylvadene will help him so I will be getting some today.
    She said to apply it twice a day after flushing the wound with warm water.

Here is a link with info on it http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...di/202521.html

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would put some neosporin to prevent infections and clean the wound daily with medical saline. Its very unfortunate that had to happen. Sometimes the humidity will cause the adhesive to break down.

But some neosporin would work great. Also clean and disinfect his cage before you put him back in there or clean it the first chance you get.

And take him to the vet right away or ASAP to get him some internal antibiotic.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

Thanks
    This is exactly the reason why i use a combo of duct tape and plastic wrap to cover the top of the cage. All of these materials go on the outside of the screen as well, so theres no chance that amber comes into contact with any adhesive surfaces.

I'm glad you were able to intervene in time and I'm sure you'll take care of arnie's wounds.
    -Brad

Thanks
    I have no idea how long he was stuck, could have been all night. It was stuck to his jaw and side. I was able to remove the tape from his jaw without any damage but the skin on the side tore off.
    I feel horrible and just want him to be ok.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Fortunate

I'm pretty sure he will be ok, I trip o the vet and proper care and he should live.
    Ball Pythons: Link
    If you have any advice for a new keeper pm me.

Thanks
    ConTac isn't that visciously sticky either and you can roll out a single piece no seams - cover the inside to prevent nose-rubs against the screen. Or if it has turned you off of adhesive completely you could either cut a form fittin glid from the (panacaea) plastic pegboard or just go for the tupperware approach.

Man I am sorry to hear that - I know how it must make you feel

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    I may get a specially cut piece of plexi glass to fit over the area, leaving room for the heat lamp. My vet thinks he will be fine based on my description of the wound. She thinks this anti-biotic creme will do the trick in healing the wound. I will take him there in a couple hours.
    He was lucky as he could have died. No more adhesive inside of his cage ever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast