Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

0 members and 2,831 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks
    Here are some pics of Arnold, my 6 month old male BP. He had an accident about 3 weeks ago when his owner (me ) put duct tape on the inside of his enclosure top to help with humidity. He got stuck and I ended up tearing some skin removing him. He seems to be healing up nicely. You can see his wound still in pic one as it needs a few more sheds according to my vet. His wound is located on his neck.

Thanks
    Poor Arnold! Glad he is recovering, though, and he does have a nice golden color to him.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    I am so thankful my ignornace didn't kill him. Now I drape a damp towel accross part of the screen top which seems to keep the humidity level about 50% I will bump it up when he shows signs of shedding. I also have a humid hide inside the cage for him to go into.
    He is such a docile snake. He loves to be handled and has never shown signs of fear or aggression towards me. I will soon remove the paper towel flooring and go back to aspen. I removed the aspen when he got injured. I was applying topical antibiotic creme to his wounds so I removed the aspen for obvious reasons.

Hey Marla, I remember Lance Link Secret Chimp. Great Avatar!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i read somewhere, on randy remington's site i believe... that duct tape in a snake enclosure is bad news. never thought about it but i sure as hell am glad i read it, Peanut was exposed to the sticky side for a while... thank God she never touched it.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    You can put it on the outside, but definately not on the inside. The humidity caused the tape inside to droop. I wrapped the tape over and over on the outside and under, but it was when I cut a circle in the top and the bottom on each side of the screen to allow for the ceramic heat lamp that I weakened the tape. The bottom section peeled away and hung down just enough for him to get his bottom jaw stuck as well as his sides. I woke up and found him hanging there, thinking he was dead, I touched him and he moved. I then cut the tape from the top and took him to the kitchen counter where I carefully removed the tape.

Now I use a damp towel on top and leave a section open where the ceramic heat lamp is. The towel seems to dry on its own and I keep re wetting it daily. No mold has developed on it and the humidity level is about 50%.
    I never thought twice about using the tape and wonder how many others have had this happen to their snakes. I hate glass terrariums because the tops are screened which does not promote good levels of humidity. I am going to buy a smaller boaphile cage for the ball pythons and a larger one for my red tail boa. I would rather spend a bit and get a handle on the proper conditions than take my chances with a cheaper set up.

Thanks
    Glad you like the new avatar. By the way, some clever folks have gotten plexiglass or acrylic cut to size and drilled holes in it for air exchange to make a better tank lid. You might consider that as an option, and of course Sterilite housing is always a good option too.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

nice looking snake.

BTW, i have that same hide and waterbowl in my other snakes cage

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's a pretty boy!! I'm so glad to hear he's recovering well from his ordeal. I'm sure that wasn't any fun for either of you!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanks!!

Hey Royal-Y Great I will be bummed when he is too big for the hide. I haven't seen a larger one it.

they do have a bigger sized one, although it isnt the EXACT same one, its just a little rounder, but basically the same thing