Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,687

0 members and 2,687 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

Can a snake be traumatized for life at an young age?

Well I made my first mistake with my new girl, Cat a few moments ago.
    On the accurite I have in her little set up I HAD a large peice of tape to keep her from abducting the thing and putting it somewhere mommy can't read it. The thing kept getting torn off the wall(from the velcro) the battery door would fall off and the battery would pop out. I didn't really want to use tape but I thought it would be strong enough for her not to pry off....please no one tell me how stupid an idea that was, I'm all to aware of it and you have my assurance that I will never do something that thoughtless(and just plain stupid...)again. *Shameful Sugar....*

I think you already figured out what happened...she got a piece stuck to her and was stuck on the wall for a few moments. It wasn't on her very well so I simply plucked it off, but she was so frightened, its the middle of the night and having compulsivly checked on her it couldn't have been more then 2 or 3 minutes (shes right beside my bed at eye level) but...is she going to be alright? Should I expect any weird behavior from her? Have I mentaly scared her for life with the tape incident? Is she going to hide for a few days? Should I restart my no touchie week? or did I simply put her at war with the evil thermometer?

How the heck should I attach the thermometer by the way? She pulls it straight off the wall when I use velcro and then hits the buttons so I have to disturb her to fix it(She hasn't even been here 6 days and I'v had to touch/move her 2 times already) It seems every night she comes out, crusis around, messes with her water dish(she somehow got the ENTIRE tub wet without even tipping the water dish over...), takes down the thermometer, moves her hide then just kinda sits there looking at me...Is something wronge with her? Is she stressed and attempting to escape or is it simply bordom?...Can snakes even GET bored?
    Sorry for the odd hour post and rude tones, I also apoligise if I offended anyone by saying stupid and moron so many times. Thank you for any and all advice and wisdom!

Sugar
    Last edited by Sugar Piper; 07-02-2006 at 07:06 AM.
    1.0 Boyfriend
    3.1 Mobile barking furs
    2.0 Claw-Tastic Felines
    1.1 Tarahamara Boas
    1.0 Hoggy
    12.7 BPs
    Rats x Infinity

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Re: Can a traumatizing experenience affect a snake for life?

I wouldn't worry about her being scarred for life! She'll get over it...probably already has. I also wouldn't worry too much about having to go in her enclosure to refill water or check temps. I would think velcro would hold it on there, but maybe someone else has a better idea?
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it, she won't be scarred for life! With being so new she's probably still getting used to her new environment, so you may see her being more active . As far as the thermometer goes, you could simply get more velcro, get enough to cover more of the back of the accurite.
    -Matt

Thanks

I'm sure she'll be fine Sugar. Most animals are creatures of the moment and don't remember in the ways we do, especially snakes with their reptilian brains (at least as much as anyone knows of how their brains work that is). Sounds like you learned your lesson about tape and snakes without any real damage being done. Just try a bigger or stronger grade of velcro. As far as her messing about with her cage some of them do that a lot and seem to enjoy making a huge mess of a well laid out cage layout LOL. As long as your husbandry is correct as far as temps/humidity and so forth, then she's just doing her snakey thing and settling in. Some of mine regularily drag their hides around and won't listen to my human mumbling about "two identical hides, one on the cool side, one on the warmer side"....they haul them around despite my best attempts to do things right LOL.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday and I have a large (and rather impressive,if I might say) human brain. I wouldn't worry about it!

Thanks

I'm sure she'll be fine, our older male,Pharoah, was tortured the first week i had him. Poor little guy had nothin visable, but apparently was covered with mite eggs, trying to get them out of his eyes and heat traps killed me the most. It took a little while, but he warmed up to us.

You could try more velcro, get a small sheet of it and cut to fit the entire back of your therm. Good luck.
    Donn
    0.1 Wife (Angie)
    1.0 Norm BP's (Pharoah)
    1.1 100% Het Pied BP's (Tut & Amunet)
    0.1 Labrador mix (Cinnamon)
    Rat Colony

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday and I have a large (and rather impressive,if I might say) human brain. I wouldn't worry about it!

he's not lieing to you... poor guy... we don't know why... i guess he's just MALE!!!

i wouldn't begin your week of no touching over.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

[QUOTE=some of mine regularily drag their hides around and won't listen to my human mumbling about "two identical hides, one on the cool side, one on the warmer side"....they haul them around despite my best attempts to do things right LOL.[/QUOTE]

I will watch mine drag the hide around... All you see is a little white plastic bowl scooting around the news paper. it is so funny to watch.

As for remembering what happened to your little one. I think it will be ok. My rescue female Lady was housed with a big nasty rat befor i got her. She seems to enjoy eating rats as much as mice.
    Jessica K

Thanks

Thank you all for the replies and help. She does seem fine now(a day later) she still did her thing and messed up the no longer secured thermometer(need to find me some good velcro!). I'll be more careful and think a bit next time before I do something like that again....

Again; thank you all!

The ever grateful Sugar
    1.0 Boyfriend
    3.1 Mobile barking furs
    2.0 Claw-Tastic Felines
    1.1 Tarahamara Boas
    1.0 Hoggy
    12.7 BPs
    Rats x Infinity