Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

1 members and 3,351 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: putting mice to sleep

Sorry, batteries were dead. Im in another class now. After class ill go get some batteries and take some pics.

Thanks

Okay, well for CO2 I use to use a setup similar to the one at the bottom of this page:

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

It uses vinegar and baking soda so it's very cheap, and you can adjust the size accordingly. Yeast, sugar and water also release CO2 (albeit, at a very minimal rate). There are several other options available online as well.

As for throwing them in the freezer still alive: that qualifies as animal cruelty, which is a misdemeanor in most states, and further more, shows an utter lack of compassion for the animal. Personally, I would not purchase an animal from anyone knowing they chose an illegal and inhumane procedure to kill their prey items.

There is no excuse for using inhumane methods for killing prey items. And using excuses like "Human food is prepared that way" or "Other people do it" is just a silly Red Herring.
    Justin Hall

Thanks

To All who continue to post in this thread:

I think it has been said enough that placing a rodent in a freezer to kill before being fed off is not a good way to do it...frankly, I dont see any reason to keep beating a dead horse over it....

Come on folks, Nightmare Creatures is willing to learn to do it another way.... can we not be happy with that accomplishment?
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhall1468
    Okay, well for CO2 I use to use a setup similar to the one at the bottom of this page:

It uses vinegar and baking soda so it's very cheap, and you can adjust the size accordingly. Yeast, sugar and water also release CO2 (albeit, at a very minimal rate). There are several other options available online as well.
    I too use that site for info on euthanizing...

I made the chamber, and it works great.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

My step father was talking to a friend. Apparently her daughter has snakes, and can't get any mice in her area, so she asked her mother to go pick some up, and place the cardboard box they came in, in the freezer overnight, so they would be dead.

The next day she opened the fridge and the mice had chewed a hole in the box, and were eating the frozen buns in the freezer, most were huddled together, and none were dead.

Definitely not the best approach
    bryan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne

Come on folks, Nightmare Creatures is willing to learn to do it another way.... can we not be happy with that accomplishment?
    I wasn't overly concerned with whether or not that particular individual "got it" or not....it was nice he conceded the point I was trying to make, but I was more concerned about someone logging on and looking to learn something, and its important to refute or reiterate certain points to get the message across to those users. I don't feel like anyone here has "beaten a dead horse" at all so far.
    -Brad

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sorry, got the pictures taken, and my lap top was dead. Anyway, finally here's my pics of the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by jhall1468

Thats the site i got my info from. The main differance is i made it a self contained unit so no hoses stick out anywhere, and i need a larger dose of CO2 than the volume of my actual chamber calls for because of the way i made my reaction chamber.

the bottom bowl is where the mice go. The top bowl has a divider in it that doesnt quite go all the way to the top. One side of the container needs to be quite abit bigger than the other. one side has a hose or pipe, whatever is easiest for you to get, sticking up nearly to the top of the bowl. The pipe goes through the bottom, and through the lid of the first bowl. In mine the pipe is glued in with gel superglue, but it may be better to use silicone for all the places that need attached. I didnt because I didnt feel like waiting on it to dry. Next one i make will use silicone. The top bowl can be attached to the lid of the bottom one if desired, but for me the pipe holds it well. Two cups are glued to the top of the lid of the second bowl, one above each side of the reaction chamber. A larger cup is needed above the larger section of the chamber, but again, since this was somewhat of a test run I just used what i had. A hole is drilled through the bottom of the cup and the lid and some type of stopper is put in the hole (i used some disposable pipettes, because thats what i had available at the time). A few small holes are placed in the sides of the bottom bowl near the top. Mice/rats are placed in bottom bowl, and the lid/second bowl is placed on top. baking soda is put into the two sides of the reaction chamber (use info from the link above and the volume of your system to determine how much). The lid is placed on that bowl and vinegar is placed in the cups. The cup with less vinegar is drained, after waiting the appropriate time (see link, i dont remember off the top of my head) the second cup is drained. Several mins later the mice are ready for the freezer or feeding. I kinda simplified the working process, but you can see that from the link to get all the numbers right.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345