Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,387

2 members and 2,385 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What Makes What and Het Info

I'm trying to put together a little guide of morphs for myself so I can understand this stuff, so I was wondering if anyone could possibly direct me to a site that tells you what the morph is, whether its dom, reccessive, co-dom, what two snakes you have to breed to achieve it, and any information on hets.

I don't quite understand the genetics of snakes. Supposedly, I have a 100% Het Pied male. How do they know its het? If it is 100% Het does this mean they bred two pieds together so it is a sure thing that any normal looking offspring would be 100% Het. What does 66% Het mean? I know there are more % Het but if someone could explain.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: What Makes What and Het Info

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny
    I'm trying to put together a little guide of morphs for myself so I can understand this stuff, so I was wondering if anyone could possibly direct me to a site that tells you what the morph is, whether its dom, reccessive, co-dom, what two snakes you have to breed to achieve it, and any information on hets.

I don't quite understand the genetics of snakes. Supposedly, I have a 100% Het Pied male. How do they know its het? If it is 100% Het does this mean they bred two pieds together so it is a sure thing that any normal looking offspring would be 100% Het. What does 66% Het mean? I know there are more % Het but if someone could explain.
    As far as a resource to learn what you have to breed together to make designer morphs, the BEST source is one you have to pay for:

http://www.newenglandreptile.com/ava...&cat=33&page=1

As far as simple recessive genetics (which is how Pied works), I wrote an article quite some time ago that might help:
    http://redtailboa.net/forums/how-tos...t=genetics+101

That should explain what hets are and where those pesky percentages come from. If not, post here again and I will do my best to answer any specific questions you may have.

Incidentally, to answer the most specific question from your post: if your snake is 100% het pied, that means that ONE of it's parents is Pied. The other parent could be normal or het, but for it to be a 100% het, one had to be a pied.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Supposedly, I have a 100% Het Pied male. How do they know its het?
    Because you should have purchased it from a reputable breeder with a genetics guarantee.

Thanks

It was only my second reptile expo ever. I don't know who's good and who's not. I actually went with the mindset that I wasn't getting another snake until December, but these two babies caught my eye. Next time I will make sure to seek out a breeder I know to be good.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    Because you should have purchased it from a reputable breeder with a genetics guarantee.
    So true. But would be awesome to know if you bought a normal to prove out its a het.

Heres a good site, but doesnt answer your question. Maybe someone else might run into it and might find it useful.
    http://www.ballpython.ca/genetics.html

Im still trying to understand it too.
    -Linh
    0.1 Sumatran Stp
    1.0 Pastel BP

Thanks

Thanks for the link. It definatly helped me understand hets a little more. I get how the outcomes work now.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Oh and rabernet, I think you took my question the wrong way. I was asking how they knew the snake was het, meaning I was wondering how you could tell a ball python was het for something when they have normal markings. Now that I've looked over the information provided, I know that if the breeder bred a homozygous individual with a het or normal, all offspring would at least be het for the trait, therefore having the 100% het put it front of its name.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh and rabernet, I think you took my question the wrong way. I was asking how they knew the snake was het, meaning I was wondering how you could tell a ball python was het for something when they have normal markings. Now that I've looked over the information provided, I know that if the breeder bred a homozygous individual with a het or normal, all offspring would at least be het for the trait, therefore having the 100% het put it front of its name.
    Ahh, gotcha - I think I did read it wrong. I thought you were asking how did YOU know that yours was 100% het.

Thanks

Nope. And if it turns out that Xefaud is not a het for pied, then I still love him all the same and I will purchase a het from another breeder that I have researched. I've already started looking at some breeders that sell online. 8-Ball, for one. My fiance said I could get another ball python as soon as we got our own apartment, so I'm saving up my pennies!
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Hang on, im trying to learn as i read this too...
    If you set up a punnets square, say with a Het for albino, and a Normal, the offspring will all be Het, none of them will actually be albino.. right? So if one was to invest in a 100% het for albino, in order to produce albinos, you would have to breed it with either another het, or an albino, correct? Bred with a normal will only produce more hets? ...i think...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast