Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,042

2 members and 1,040 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,121
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Tub owners, how do you keep your cool side temps up?

I followed the advice here and went with a tub over a tank. I'm finding that just 1 warm hide regulated by a thermostat/UTH is not enough. The cool side just reflects room temp which is 74 and too low. So I'm wanting to know what my options are and what most people are doing in my situation.

I can't decide if I wanna heat the entire room (expensive), or if I wanna buy a 2nd UTH / thermostat (also expensive), or if I wanna go back to a tank / light setup, or if I just wanna forget perfection and let the cool side stay 74 year round with 90 on the warm end.

Thanks

Re: Tub owners, how do you keep your cool side temps up?

my room is usually around 80 degrees right now during the summer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atp151415 View Post
    my room is usually around 80 degrees right now during the summer
    Why doesn't anyone mention this when they recommend tubs? To use a tub setup properly, you apparently need a warm ambient room temp. For me this is hard because I live in a small apartment. I don't want a space heater going 24/7 in a small closet and I don't want my entire place being 80 all the time.

Bleh, tanks are sounding really good right now.

Thanks

My tubs are in an enclosed rack system made by Reptile Basics and I have no issues with low temps or humidity. I have 1 thermostat running 16 tubs in four racks.
    I also have cages made by Reptile Basics and have no issues with temps or humidity. I have one thermostat running each three cages.

I would suggest, before buying another t'stat, that you maybe check out Reptile Basics offerings; it could be good for your situation

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starmom View Post
    My tubs are in an enclosed rack system made by Reptile Basics and I have no issues with low temps or humidity. I have 1 thermostat running 16 tubs in four racks.
    I also have cages made by Reptile Basics and have no issues with temps or humidity. I have one thermostat running each three cages.

I would suggest, before buying another t'stat, that you maybe check out Reptile Basics offerings; it could be good for your situation
    But what is your ambient, room temp?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spaceturtle View Post
    That's what I use currently for the warm side. I guess I can do the same with the other side, I just don't want to throw down another $80 for a thermostat. I guess flexwatt + rheostat or dimmer would work fine. I also might try a zoomed UTH since those aren't such a snake cooking risk.
    Take it from me, like I said in your past threads I manage with ambient temps in the 68 degree range. All its takes is tweaking and a little effort. Your best bet is to get some flexwatt to warm the cool side and run that off of a dimmer. You said you had a good central A/C so you shouldn't have to tweak it too much once you get it stabilized. $30 will correct your problem.

Switching to a tank will not correct the issue your having. It will probably get worst since there is more air space inside a tank for the heat to get dispersed in.

4 inch strip of flexwatt running across the cool side, controlled by a dimmer; thats what I would do.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Oh boy. I live in the high desert. Summer months are June, July and August. Summer day time highs are anywhere from 80-93F and night time is typically 35-45F. We don't have air conditioning. We have about 9 months of chilly to coldness. Winter time averages day temps of 20's to 30's and night time temps of friggin cold!!

Our indoor ambients have a huge range since we have no air conditioning and leave windows and doors open at night in the summer. In the winter, average indoor temps are about 67-68F. We have ambient humidity year round of about 22-28%.

I can't wait to move full time out to the ranch where the air is warmer, there is more humidity, and the winter time is shorter and not so cold.....

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

get another strip of flexwatt, run it along the cool side of the tub/s and set it to high 70's low 80's if your temps are too low. you dont need to heat a whole room. thatd be a waste and a headache.
    -marshall

Thanks

I use an oil-filled radiator to heat my snake room, but I have close to 50 snakes in one room. My ambient temp is usually around 77-78. My hot sides in my rack systems are kept at 92. I do not worry about my cool sides. The snakes will move around the cage to thermo-regulate. If the cool side is too cool, then they will not go to that side.

Tanks are much harder to heat and hold humidity than tubs. Also the snakes feel insecure in tanks. Tubs are in my opinion a much better choice.

Hope this helps.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i agree with eddie. my cool side temps sometimes dip to low 70's. my warm side is always about 89-90.
    -marshall

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast