Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,278

0 members and 2,278 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,172
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Ro55y5
  • 01-23-2023, 10:54 PM
    RJtheBEARDIE
    Thermostat controlled lighting
    Hi, I'm trying to correct a current set up I have with an on/off thermostat. I've been thinking in hindsight, maybe the on/off of the lights isn't the best idea. I thought, and hoped, the easiest correction would be placing an in line dimmer between the heat lamp and the on/off thermostat, but I'm not entirely sure that the thermostat won't just override the dimmer and just continue to shut it off anyway. Anybody have an answer, or alternative suggestion?
  • 01-23-2023, 11:09 PM
    Bogertophis
    I agree, that's just the wrong kind of thermostat- you want a "proportional" one. I don't think a dimmer is going to help-it would stay on longer but still go on & off- & either way, a light going on & off is stressful to snakes, most of which don't like lights anyway. Better to use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter- heat only, no light) or black or red bulbs (since they don't give off as much light- I use them with only a dimmer, as they're not the only source of warmth, just for basking- with manual daily control, since I'm home.) If you use a CHE, make sure that your light fixture is rated for that wattage & is not plastic where the bulb screws in- you want only ceramic for safety.
  • 01-23-2023, 11:11 PM
    Malum Argenteum
    Herpstats have dimming heat lamp control. That's what I would use.
  • 01-23-2023, 11:11 PM
    RJtheBEARDIE
    Re: Thermostat controlled lighting
    Maybe I should've mentioned... My lil guy is a beardie, not a snake
  • 01-23-2023, 11:13 PM
    RJtheBEARDIE
    Malum Argenteum, where could I find these? And what's the ballpark cost if you know?
  • 01-23-2023, 11:31 PM
    dakski
    We really need to know more about your setup.

However, dimmers or proportional thermostats can work with regular lights, but not with UVB lights, which is what a Bearded Dragon requires. If you are using other lights to raise ambient temps, then that's fine, but if you are wanting to use with a UVB light you are asking for trouble. I would be adjusting the wattage and/or distance from your bearded dragon to create correct basking spot temps.

If you can give us more information, we can try to be of more help.
  • 01-23-2023, 11:31 PM
    Malum Argenteum
    https://spyderrobotics.com/

Many secondary sellers carry them too.

Edit to add: I assumed this was for an incandescent lamp. I should have confirmed that first.
  • 02-07-2023, 11:22 PM
    RJtheBEARDIE
    Sorry, obviously no need for details but, life was a mess for a bit, so I only just noticed this.
    I appreciate your response and to be clear, I definitely would not ever use his uvb lamp to effect heating changes in any way.
  • 02-07-2023, 11:54 PM
    RJtheBEARDIE
    Again sorry, I forgot to address the "more info" part of your message.
    It's a 4x2x2 foot custom melamine enclosure and because I hardwired and mounted the heat lamp fixture to the ceiling, it can't be raised or lowered. My temps are as perfect as I can hope for them to be, however I simply want to eliminate the fact that they turn off/on throughout the day. To be honest they don't turn off/on all that often (ballpark 1-2 x's per/hr) but, I'd just like to incorporate a dimmer and eliminate the off/on.
    To be honest, I only began using the on/off set up after seeing it used in a reptile store which i believed to be knowledgeable and reliable. As someone who makes it a habit to thoroughly research any new information, I very much regret not learning more about the pros and cons of a heat lamp that isn't constant.
    I guess I was looking only at the temperature aspect and not the visual light aspect.
    It seems to me that the only real solution might be to get a herpstat but, by all means please correct me if you have ideas on alternate solutions.
    Thank you for your time, I genuinely appreciate it.