Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,038

2 members and 1,036 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

Weird Genetics? Or a common Occurance?

I had my augoti, top eared, black eyed male in with a blue badger faced, top eared, black eyed female. I wasn’t expecting anything special AT ALL - Just feeders. I held back a resulting male only because he was a Dumbo - which was exciting for me. Today I was playing with him at noticed that not only is he Dumbo, but he has one red eye & one black eye!!! Has anyone had any experience with "bi-eyes" - I’m wondering if it’s simple receive or something else.
    "Give me the luxuries of life and I will gladly do without the necessities" ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Thanks

Re: Weird Genetics? Or a common Occurance?

Odd-Eyed(what you have) and blazed(also what you have) are very susceptible to megacolon issues. I would urge you not to breed any rats with facial markings because if bred to another rat that carries megacolon, the chances are high that the resulting litter would suffer the consequences(ie: foul smelling diarrhea, stunted growth, bloating, failure to thrive, and a very slow painful death). Megacolon babies literally starve to death, but slowly.

Finding females that are only self, irish/english-irish, berkshire, hooded, without any headspots or facial markings is very important to raising quality offspring. I would recommend you not breed the odd-eyed holdback male and just keep him as a pet and buddy for your other males. I would also remove any other blazed/odd-eye, or otherwise, females from your breeding group.

Plus, the snakes don't care what color they are. If they are pink-eyed white or all black, they don't care. What you need to care about is that the prey animal is as healthy as it can possibly be, and breeding animals that possibly carry a death sentence for their offspring, isn't what the goal is.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

satanic,

Are there any other color patches or marks that us new bees should look out for in our efforts to produce colonies??? Rats or mice?
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

self, irish/english-irish, berkshire, hooded, without any headspots or facial markings is very important to raising quality offspring
    She has already gone over some good markings:

Self (or solid color),
    Berkshires (belly is white)
    Irish (small heart of white on chest)
    Hooded or bareback (color on head, neck and shoulders with a stripe running down the back, barebacks have no stripe down the back)
    Notched cap (color on head with small indent on the back)

Coats:
    Straight
    Wavy
    Rex
    Harly

Safe Colors:
    Black
    Brown
    Cream/beige
    albino/white
    fawn
    gold
    russian blue/grey
    agouti/cinnamon

Ears:
    Dumbo or normal top

What patterns to avoid :

Baldies/essex (white spots on head,often looks like a bald spot)
    Blazes or badger (white from nose and spread up to the ears)
    Odd-eyed rats, often with blazes (one red eye, one black eye, sometimes the red eye looks black unless light shined into)
    Lightning marks on face or split caps (split cap looks like a capped rat, but their is a line going through the middle of the head)
    Black eyed white rats
    Banded/husky/roan rats (looks like a high sided berkshire, a long band of color down back of animal)

High white rats (rats with irregular patches of color, can be combined with any before stated markings, )

Colors to avoid:
    English blues from pets store: often weak immune systems, prone to many problems and die young. (buy from established breeder)

Merle and pearl: Pearl is homozygous lethal and can accompany merle.

Coats:
    Hairless or fuzzy
    tailless

I think that's really it. If I forgot something or made a mistake, please feel free to correct.

Thanks

Thanks for the help Always appreciated.

Last thing though, I doubt that anyone will ever get Harley rats from any pet store. There was only one ever found, and she was bred to create the line of Harleys(or long-haired). They are only with reputable breeders, that I know of.

I also wouldn't breed capped as they are considered pretty high white and can come out of HW litters . This isn't something that one will be aware of when picking a rat out at a pet store or wherever. Bareback are fairly safe as long as they don't have any facial markings.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

thanks for all that information! are their similar rules for mice?

mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Sometimes with mice, different color combinations can cause the lethal gene to pop out, resulting in dead babies or failure-to-thrive babies. I just prefer to either breed my brindle mice or the PEW mice(pink eyed white, albinos, whatever). The Pink eyed whites are great producers
    --Becky--