Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,951

1 members and 2,950 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,585
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, masdiprizio
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Hybrid View

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,215 Posts

Re: Katie: Reptile Convert and Love of My Life - Post about converts you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Another thing to consider (& not only with corn snakes) is that they appreciate temperatures in the low 70's much of the time (as evidenced by where mine choose
    to spend most of their enclosure time) and we are quite a ways above that, around 98.6* so it's very possible that's what their activity should be telling us. Add to
    that the fact that they have a thinner build than boas and BPs, so their body heats up faster (& can over-heat faster), whereas a boa takes a long time to warm up,
    depending on how large they are, plus they need more warmth anyway. Boas are "just getting started" when corn snakes are "done". I suspect that Solana's being
    scaleless, might also make a difference...she has virtually no "insulation".

My large Florida rat snakes have consistently done very well with public "meet & greets"- quite often they settle into the arms of strangers like a baby, because they
    have a husky build (7' males) and crave the warmth of their native "Sunshine State". So it's not that rat snakes never chill out with human handling...it's just asking
    a lot of a little corn snake. It's easy to forget how warm we are to them.
    Suppose I never thought of like that ,I think they are alot more inquisitive too and like.to explore when there younger

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,926 Times in 11,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Suppose I never thought of like that ,I think they are alot more inquisitive too and like.to explore when there younger

That's another main difference between rat snakes (including corns) and BPs/boas: rat snakes are active hunters, whereas BPs/boas are ambush (sit & wait) types.

So that's where the "inquisitive" part comes in: I really enjoy seeing my snakes & having them look back at me all the time. And it often means they enjoy being
    up in their branches & always on the "look-out" instead of hiding. They seem to be a bit more visually-oriented, and because they are more aware of our presence,
    they are less spooked by our "intrusions".

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-02-2018),richardhind1972 (12-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,725 Times in 3,874 Posts

My buddy Dan was over today and he met Solana and Feliz and Ferry for the first time. He doesn't have any reptiles of his own, but lives vicariously through me. He likes them, so I wouldn't call him a convert, but he asks a lot of questions and has definitely become more interested of late.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2019),Dianne (12-07-2018),richardhind1972 (12-07-2018),tttaylorrr (12-07-2018)

Thanks

Katie: Reptile Convert and Love of My Life - Post about converts you know!

Looks like mum had a great time with the critters today’s

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 12-02-2018 at 04:07 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-02-2018)

Thanks

Looks like mum had a great time with the critters today’s

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Yeah, she really did, and she always does. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but she used to be petrified of snakes. Couldn't even look at a picture of one. Now look at her! She's come a long way. Great to see.

That's the whole point of this thread. Look at Katie, who wasn't afraid, but was kind of "meh." Now she loves and embraces them. She has her own Leachie, helped me give shots to Yafe, who she didn't even really know yet, and even feeds Figment and Solana! Holding them, forget about it! Regularly! She even takes Behira out after hook tapping/rubbing. She's a pro now.

I love opening peoples' eyes to how wonderful these creatures are. Especially people I care about.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2018),richardhind1972 (12-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Yeah, she really did, and she always does. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but she used to be petrified of snakes. Couldn't even look at a picture of one. Now look at her! She's come a long way. Great to see.

That's the whole point of this thread. Look at Katie, who wasn't afraid, but was kind of "meh." Now she loves and embraces them. She has her own Leachie, helped me give shots to Yafe, who she didn't even really know yet, and even feeds Figment and Solana! Holding them, forget about it! Regularly! She even takes Behira out after hook tapping/rubbing. She's a pro now.

I love opening peoples' eyes to how wonderful these creatures are. Especially people I care about.
    That's so cool that your mum has come round that much.
    When my wife asked me what I wanted for our anniversary I said I want Gomez my Guyana and she just said really, and after a week she gave in and gave me half towards him of which I was pretty pleased with, he was way too good to let pass by that's for sure , so I feel that was a small step of having another snake in the house, didn't dare tell I hadn't shut the Viv properly on little Harleys viv and he had escaped, thru a cm gap when I changed his water, lol. Boy did i panick as he could probably fit under the door too, I was just about to give up looking before work and I thought I'd try down the side of the bed and luckily he was there, so she didn't need to know , Lol
    That would of been a set back

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-02-2018)

Thanks
    Another great thread. Good luck to you both!

Thanks

That's such a positive story Dave, I love it when this happens, really glad they all played nice for you.
    I always dred that one day there having an off day and they nip you Infront someone that's already afraid of snakes
    Great pics too

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2019),dakski (12-23-2018)

Thanks

My mom with the growing crew (except for Shayna - BP).

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2019),dr del (10-31-2019),EL-Ziggy (11-01-2019),richardhind1972 (10-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,926 Times in 11,906 Posts

...really glad they all played nice for you. I always dread that one day there having an off day and they nip you in front of someone that's already afraid of snakes...
    In all the times I've shared my snakes, I've never had that happen. Not even when they haven't done a 'meet & greet' in a while...somehow they seem to know they're safe? I agree it would be awful though, & I've heard of that happening (very rarely) but I just don't personally worry about mine. I think the worst one I've heard of was a large python being held for photos that suddenly bit someone...really makes bad publicity for all of us, & as well as our snakes. We really need to make sure we really "know" any snakes we decide to "share", but I wouldn't worry about Dave's either.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-30-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-31-2019)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast