Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,409

0 members and 2,409 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bunny Question

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 19,946 Times in 11,918 Posts
    I had no idea how much there is to know about keeping a pet bunny, not that I'm looking for another pet...but thank you (!) Cheesenugget for such a
    thorough explanation. It's fascinating...and I bet there's as many clueless bunny-owners as there are clueless snake-owners... (what a frightful thought!)

Thanks

Re: Bunny Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I had no idea how much there is to know about keeping a pet bunny, not that I'm looking for another pet...but thank you (!) Cheesenugget for such a
    thorough explanation. It's fascinating...and I bet there's as many clueless bunny-owners as there are clueless snake-owners... (what a frightful thought!)
    Ya think? Glad Cheeseburger is on top of things!

Thanks
    Please don't use a heat mat with a rabbit or anything electrical really. Anything touching the outside of the cage will be inside the cage and thoroughly destroyed by morning. My mini-lop will seek and destroy cords when she roams the room.
    I wouldn't recommend dogs and rabbits mixing unsupervised. My buns and small dogs like to sit on the couch together and sniff each other but I'm always right there.
    If you want a pair of bunnies neutered males are usually the easiest to bond. Be careful with this un-bonded bunnies can have some really vicious fights. In my rabbit room i have: two neutered males bonded, and two intact sisters bonded, but i also have the third sister by herself because she is picked on by both her sisters and her mother. And then I have two intact male that are separated.
    Also, never bathe a rabbit. A sponge bath on a messy bottom is fine. Rabbits get heart attacks and chills when wet all over.
    2.1 Ball Python (Mojave, Banana Pied, Normal)
    1.1 Corn Snake (Albino, Okeetee)
    2.1 Hognose (Extreme Red Albino, Normal, Red Conda)
    0.0.1 Blue Tongue Skink
    RIP Rosy Boa
    RIP Bearded Dragon

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smaug For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-03-2019),MR Snakes (01-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    Please don't use a heat mat with a rabbit or anything electrical really. Anything touching the outside of the cage will be inside the cage and thoroughly destroyed by morning. My mini-lop will seek and destroy cords when she roams the room.
    I wouldn't recommend dogs and rabbits mixing unsupervised. My buns and small dogs like to sit on the couch together and sniff each other but I'm always right there.
    If you want a pair of bunnies neutered males are usually the easiest to bond. Be careful with this un-bonded bunnies can have some really vicious fights. In my rabbit room i have: two neutered males bonded, and two intact sisters bonded, but i also have the third sister by herself because she is picked on by both her sisters and her mother. And then I have two intact male that are separated.
    Also, never bathe a rabbit. A sponge bath on a messy bottom is fine. Rabbits get heart attacks and chills when wet all over.
    Good to know. Thanks

Thanks

NO HEATING PAD. I totally agree
    I've had rabbit too. And I have to tell you that a little dachshund that we had at the same time ended up killing the rabbit.
    I personally do not trust dogs around rabbits unless perhaps they were raised together

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-04-2019),MR Snakes (01-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    I've had rabbit too. And I have to tell you that a little dachshund that we had at the same time ended up killing the rabbit.
    I personally do not trust dogs around rabbits unless perhaps they were raised together

Scary. Our Aussies once herded up a bunch (6) of baby raccoons that had lost their mom until animal control arrived. It was quite cute.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post

I should have more specific about the heat pad. Don't use the ones for reptiles. If you have to use one, it should not be inside the cage. I placed mine on the side of the outside of the cage bars and confirmed that the bunny cannot bite through the pad or any wires when she is locked in her Wabbitat during cold nights. However, unless the bunny room temp drops below 50F, you most likely won't need it and most other bunny owners prefer some fleece blankets (if it won't chew them) over a pad or you can always move your bunny to a warmer room. It is more important that there are no drafts in the room.

Because of the way bunnies look and portray in the media, most people think that they are easier to care for than a dog or a cat. Mine was adopted at the shelter after being dumped at a local state park to fend for herself. Those who are surrendered at the shelters who do take them in are being put down more often than not due to lack of space. It is an all too common tragedy for these bunnies just because their owners were unprepared after they realized how big of a commitment they are. As long as you know what you are getting into and you are prepared, they are affectionate in their own terms and make great companions.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-04-2019),MR Snakes (01-04-2019)

Thanks
    Like all pets...do your homework first! Don't assume...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (01-04-2019)

Thanks
    The big day is tomorrow. Mrs. Wabbit had me running all over Kingdom Come buying a laundry list of items needed before the rescue will release a bunny. Glad to see they're so picky. We even had to do an application outlining our home and family/pets. Didn't say Boo about the future .

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-04-2019),GoingPostal (01-04-2019)

Thanks
    Good call...I think they'd have jumped to an unfortunate conclusion if they found out your snake plans.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (01-04-2019)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast