Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,857

2 members and 2,855 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 9,736 Times in 3,878 Posts

Health & Other Issues and properly caring for reptiles right now.....

Fellow BP.net members,

I wanted to share an honest and heartfelt post with you.

I am struggling to meet my standards of care of my reptiles right now. Everyone has fresh water and clean tanks (currently), but I am spending very little time with the reptiles right now (more my issue than an issue for them, I know) and haven't fed the snakes in about a month. They are all fine and I know that no one is ill or worse for the wear and that an occasional short fast can be good for all (even the corn snakes - who both shed and would have missed at least 1 feeding time anyway - they eat every two weeks).

Katie (my wife) has been sick for 3 weeks and we are still trying to figure out what's going on. She has been out of work the majority of that time as well. They think (they being Yale here in CT) that anything life threatening has been ruled out, but she is having serious issues non the less. She got significantly better and then regressed greatly the past few days. She, unlike me, is not used to being sick and is struggling with the whole situation. I am trying to be there for her, and also taking her to tests and to doctors, an average of 3-4 times a week the past 3 weeks.

On top of that, as many of you know, we lost our sweet dog, Bailey, last week and Cleo, the LG, 3 weeks before that.

I have my own health issues having had a kidney transplant, being immune suppressed, and having multiple other health issues, many related to the transplant and the medication I have to take to keep me from rejecting the kidney. Some of these issues have gotten worse over the past year or two.

All of this is weighing on me mentally and physically. I am falling asleep early most nights and sleeping late and/or getting up to take Katie to doctors. I feel overwhelmed right now by work and basic chores. As much as I love the reptiles, and usually get motivated to spend time with them and care for them, it feels like too much right now and I am lacking in motivation and energy. Even if I make it down to the reptile area most days, I don't have the energy some days to do even the most basic maintenance (like clean a tank). So, and again, not the end of the world, I've gone up to 2 days with dirty tanks and often get overwhelmed easily and struggle to get everything I need done. I have barely handled the reptiles for fun in the past month and although I do not resent them at all, I feel that I am unable to care for them as I would like to.

I know this will pass and I will get back on track. When that is, I am not sure. I plan to feed the snakes tomorrow and the lizards have pretty much been on schedule on eating give or take a day or two here and there. Most eat every other day or in Ezzy (Leachie) and Frank's (BTS) case, 2X a week.

I also have barely been on the forum and haven't posted much over the past month either. I love the forum, but if I have to choose between caring for my family (reptiles included) or spending time posting, I have to choose my family.

I wanted to share all this for two reasons. First, I hope others have some thoughts on helping me get back in the game. Regardless, writing this has been cathartic. Secondly, I want others to know that life can get in the way sometimes and especially if you have established animals and proper heating elements with thermostats and check temps regularly, reptiles are pretty tough. Having said that, keeping up on maintenance and feeding is important because if life throws you a curve ball, you are on top of things to start and can have a little flexibility.

Thank you to any and all who read this and especially for those who are able to comment.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

AbsoluteApril (05-20-2021),aurum (05-20-2021),Bogertophis (05-20-2021),EL-Ziggy (05-20-2021),Gio (10-24-2022),GoingPostal (05-20-2021),Hugsplox (05-20-2021),Kam (05-22-2021),OatBoii (03-06-2023),richardhind1972 (05-20-2021),WrongPython (05-20-2021)