Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,761

3 members and 1,758 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum

Threaded View

Thanks

Re: Cali King Breeding questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well you went right from talking about their sizes to "incubators" so I wanted to be clear about that. You had me a little worried, lol. (& you wouldn't be the "first", trying to power-feed etc).

I don't spend time weighing my snakes, but the typical adult breedable king snake (female) should be a good 4'+ long with proportionate body weight, so they have plenty of room for eggs.

Bigger (overall & longer length) is better- you want well-fed & solid but not overweight/"fat". I hesitate to specify any exact length, because just like humans, their growth will depend on their individual genes even with equal care given. One might reach 4', another 4.5' with the same care, for example.
    Very understandable and apologies for jumping around quite alot in my original post, we have the incubators prepared for our ball pythons, we have several already at breeding size and have been trying to actively pair one and eventually we plan on trying to breed our 2 king snakes but obviously we have a long while to go, which is fine, I was mainly curious as we haven't done a whole lot of research into the actual reproduction of the king snakes, we've researched quite alot on the ball pythons and was basically looking for a jumping off point on the Cali kings, I wasn't trying to be confusing and if I was then I really am sorry about that lol. Power feeding is definitely frowned upon in our collection, I definitely understand the whole concept of; just because they'll eat another it doesn't mean they should. Do you have any actual references for this topic? I'm genuinely curious, or would you say that your knowledge is all from your actual personal experiences? You seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject I just didn't know if there was any more information else where(aside from Googling) where possibly reputable breeders might have posted their knowledge or potentially described their process in the art of colubrid breeding, and possibly specifically Cali kings? We were buying some more asf colonies the other night and was trying to bring the subject up to the guy we bought them from and he just didn't seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject, as he claimed he tried it once and it went horribly, sooo I'm not trying to downplay what information you've already given me because you've already educated me more on a subject I once knew nothing about.

Just trying to stress that I mean no disrespect at all 😇

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCR For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-02-2022),Bogertophis (07-27-2021)