Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,921

2 members and 2,919 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, masdiprizio

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: A Primer on IBD and Reptarenavirus

While you can never know for sure without testing/screening, that doesn't strike me as an unreasonable assumption. The strains of reptarenavirus circulating in the US seem pretty apt at taking down infected pythons quickly. That's part of the reason reptarenavirus doesn't seem to be as big an issue in the python community as it is in the boa community -- it burns though infected pythons so fast it doesn't have time to silently spread wide via asymptomatic snakes. Kind of like a fire that burns through its fuel so fast it ends up burning itself out.

That being said, your BP may not be in the clear with nidovirus -- you many also hear it called serpentovirus now, as they reclassified it recently. There's some evidence that pythons could potentially be asymptomatic carriers of nido/serpento, like boas are for reptarena (Parrish et al., 2021). It wouldn't be a bad idea to test your BP for nido/serpento to gauge their status. Both RAL and Fishhead Diagnostics offer at-home collection nido/serpento testing options.

I'm actually working on a nido/serpento version of this primer thread so people have a handy reference for that as well. A very nice literature review on nidoviruses in reptiles came out in September, so I'll do my best to digest that, pull out the bits that keepers should be aware of, and link to testing options.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2021),Homebody (11-10-2021)