Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,374

5 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 444 Posts
    Other issues to consider (since the discussion has gotten more broad than just the parasite concern) is providing a certain size prey for one or a few snakes would not really be possible if only feeding prekilled; the rodents grow faster than the snakes eat, and so a litter of rodents is only a suitable size for a short period of time. It would take a sizable snake collection and some really close attention to timing litters to provide prekilled prey on the regular.

Also make sure that the cost of a CO2 rig (tank and flowmeter) is budgeted in.

I raise my own mice; I need all sizes of FT, and need regular access to live and prekilled for starting hatchlings. I used to raise rats too, but at a certain point raising feeders becomes more of a chore than raising the reptiles, so I purchase frozen rats now.

There's also the psychological factor of killing rats; of all the animals I've raised (for human and animal food) and hunted, I personally find rats the most problematic to euthanize. I do really like the quality of the feeders I can produce myself, though -- I have yet to find an equivalent substitute from any supplier.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2023),Homebody (02-09-2023)