Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,128

0 members and 1,128 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,585
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Threaded View

Thanks

Getting a Hypo (50%)/66% het Genetic Stripe Bredli! + Q's

Hello everyone. I have great news!

After a nice conversation with Nick Mutton today, instead of a Darwin, I have decided to go with a Bredli! I've added a picture of the beautiful 50% hypo male I will be getting at the bottom of the post. He was born 8/21, so he is already quite established, which I think will be much better for me than a very young snake. For now, he is temporarily named "Ziggy", until I can decide on a more official name.

We discussed a lot, but ultimately, I think the Bredli is a better fit for me than the Darwin after discussing with him some of the ins and outs of carpet python care and growth. He was wonderful to talk to, truly an awesome guy. I'm super excited to get everything set up for Ziggy, I hope it all gets here soon! It is on its way... But, well, processing is taking more time than I would like, and I am an impatient person at heart. Either way, it is actually quite cold where I live right now, and it might take 1-2 weeks before temperatures are warm enough for shipping anyways, so I'm not too concerned. And even if temperatures look good but I'm not 100% ready yet, Mr. Mutton informed me that a small tote would actually work quite well (if not better) for a juvenile CP of his size, so I could always get something small and temporary set up while I wait for the big stuff to get in.

His enclosure will be a 36x18x18 PVC with 3' heat tape to maintain floor temps, and an 80w DHP for ambients/basking spot. I have a herpstat 2 for a thermostat, and I'll play around with probe placement and the like to figure out what works best. Should I run the heat tape down the direct back, direct front, or middle of the enclosure though? Also- If I need to lightly elevate the enclosure so that the heat tape has space away from the dresser, what is the easiest and most secure way to do that?

I also ordered several pieces of L-XL grapevine online, which I am hoping to use to create several opportunities for climbing for him. Since this will be a display enclosure, I also got one of Exo-Terra TRex skull hides, but not to use as a hide. I want to fill it on the inside/block off the smaller holes so that there is no danger of him getting stuck, and then use it as a decoration piece for a "dinosaur" themed enclosure. Although, it is probably not very dinosaur themed with just one dino decor item in it xD Oh well, there is time to find more, perhaps even at the expo in April. I'm also looking for ideas/recommendations on reptile perches that would look good. Mr. Mutton mentioned that this bredli loves to climb, so I'm very interested in figuring out ways to give him lots of arboreal climbing areas. Has anyone ever used avian perches, the kind that you can screw in? Are there other good options for perches in the hobby?

If he doesn't seem to be thriving in that enclosure, the plan is to get a smaller tote and then set it up inside of the larger PVC. This will let me keep my ambient temps in a good place, since the PVC will still be better at keeping ambient heat in than if I just set the tote out. Whatever works best for Ziggy, works for me.

This is "Ziggy" ! I will be sure to take more pics once he actually arrives.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OatBoii For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-09-2023),dakski (03-09-2023),Gio (03-09-2023),jmcrook (03-09-2023)