Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,156

0 members and 2,156 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,146
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Strider21

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Having bred rats, mice, and ASF's, I think ASF's were the hardest to introduce by far. I've never had young rats or mice introduced and anything serious happen. They might do a little bit of bickering to figure out who the alpha is, but it's not usually bad until they are a bit older. With ASF's they still can get a little out of control even when pretty young sometimes, and I've had to break up fights. These were ones raised in colonies inches away from each other, so they should have been used to the scent of the others to at least some degree. After separating them and trying again, sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't and I had to give up with that set. Keep in mind, this all happened when they were a lot newer to the hobby, and yours are likely a bit more domesticated, but domesticated to humans doesn't always translate perfectly to better temperament with each other so I'd still be careful. I generally would introduce them into a brand new tub with no scents at all so there was less to get territorial about, and keep a spray bottle with cool water and something to divide them handy ready to intervene if necessary.

Best of luck!
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2023),Homebody (05-28-2023)