Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,841

0 members and 2,841 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,585
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, masdiprizio

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 19,926 Times in 11,906 Posts
    And I'll second this observation, having both relocated a number of Mohave (Mojave) rattlesnakes when I lived in the So. Cal. desert, & kept several long-term. They're not the biggest rattlesnakes around- most adults are right around 3' max- but they're well-respected for their serious venom, more neurotoxic than most rattlesnakes possess, & therefore potentially quite lethal.

One of the ones I was called to pick up & re-locate was a young one, first noticed in the hands of a young girl who was visiting family in the desert & carrying it around in her bare hands. She got no bites and was very hard to convince that she had to relinquish her "new-found pet". And it turned out that their woodpile, chicken shed, & ample shady space under their mobile home had attracted a whole family of Mojave rattlesnakes that found both food (rodents) & suitable accommodations.

The single middle-aged man who lived there never paid any attention until his sister & her daughter came to stay. Oops. For anyone not aware, wood piles in the desert are frequently occupied by desert pack rats or other small rodents- favored prey of snakes, birds of prey & coyotes. And raising chickens or having bird feeders means loose seeds & grain that draws rodents to move in. It was a perfect home for rattlesnakes living under the mobile home...who could blame them for moving in?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-26-2023),Homebody (08-29-2023)